Thailand Adopts Work from Home Bill: Implications for Employers

a970b4990cc1a829576b636298769ae0_small.jpg

file photo

by Alexander Chipman Koty

Thailand has made an amendment to the Labor Protection Act to offer the same labor rights to remote workers. Employers can allow employees to work outside the business premises using information technology, such as computers and smartphones.

If an employer and employee agree, they should specify the terms of remote work in a written format.

Thailand has adopted a so-called Work from Home Bill, the country’s first legislation governing remote work relationships between employers and employees.

Officially, the Work from Home (WFH) Bill is an amendment to the Labor Protection Act B.E. 2541, one of Thailand’s central labor laws. The amendment offers a regulatory framework that clarifies the rights and obligations of both employers and employees engaged in remote work relationships.

Like in other countries worldwide, working from home became increasingly popular in Thailand since the COVID-19 pandemic, necessitating policymakers, employers, and workers to adapt accordingly. Thailand’s new WFH Bill does not significantly alter the conditions of WFH labor arrangements but does provide a useful framework to add greater clarity to the rights of remote workers.

Full story: https://www.aseanbriefing.com/news/thailand-adopts-work-from-home-bill/

logo.png

-- © Copyright  ASEAN BRIEFING 2023-02-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

47 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

Working from home gives flexibility to both employer and employee. I prefer working from home as I can work earlier or later as I choose. I also don't have the interruptions I have in the office. The vast majority of my work is research and admin, which needs to be done without meaningless chit chat and interaction with people who feel they need to tell you stuff that has no relevance.

Perhaps I am antisocial, I don't care, as long as my work is done to the standard required and in the timeframe required.

What is does do is to destroy interpersonal  relationships, corporate culture, leadership, integration , strategic planning and cohesion in companies and organizations  and removes management control and inability to assess performance.  Its a lazy persons charter and should be unacceptable in a growing and efficient company. .   

19 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

What is does do is to destroy interpersonal  relationships, corporate culture, leadership, integration , strategic planning and cohesion in companies and organizations  and removes management control and inability to assess performance.  Its a lazy persons charter and should be unacceptable in a growing and efficient company. .   

Not every company needs the things you mention.  

19 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Not every company needs the things you mention.  

All successful ones do. Even in a family business, with Mum, Dads and kids, you still need that list to prosper 

Edited by Doctor Tom

On 2/4/2023 at 4:46 PM, Doctor Tom said:

Absolute nonsense. If one can't assess performance or plan work when people aren't close to you, you are a useless manager. With a hybrid model you also keep the relationships in place.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1