Pattaya Restaurant Reportedly Encroaching on Na Jomtien Beach Draws Harsh Criticism

webfact

image.jpeg

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Pattaya — Pattaya residents and netizens were peeved after a famous restaurant situated on a beachside reportedly put chairs and tables on the Na Jomtien Beach to accept customers.

Pictures of the concerned beachside restaurant with about 30 sets of tables and chairs being placed on Jomtien Beach went viral after being posting on Facebook by the Pattaya Watchdog page on February 5th.

The tables were covered with blue cloth and the chairs with white cloth. A group of customers were seen chilling and dining on the beach, drawing widespread criticism from Pattaya residents and netizens. The name of the restaurant was withheld, however, pending full official investigation by Na Jomtien law enforcement.

Some people stated that the restaurant had been operating on the beach for over a month, adding it was illegal because the beach was restricted to public use only. Beaches in Thailand are considered public land and there are often debates over encroachment of buildings built and situated on beachfronts.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/02/05/pattaya-restaurant-reportedly-encroaching-on-na-jomtien-beach-draws-harsh-criticism/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-02-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

A line must be drawn someplace.... are we now to say all beach areas are available to other businesses as they choose? The damned deck chair vendors are bad enough. (Utilizing some similar allocation method as they get may be an idea). I expect this could cause disputes too.... and pollution and litter as tissues blow down the beach.  Bits of food discarded on the beach bring pack dogs and rats. Are beach walkers still allowed between the tables, can their pet dog take a dump next to a dining family?

Sure - draw a line that lets those Na Jomtien restaurants use the area at night. It's an absolutely beautiful setting and would help tourism.

I get it, squatting is bad. There was a brand new beautiful two lane section of road built in Pattaya years ago. There was an "S" curve in part of it, and a restaurant decided to build an awning and place tables in front of their shop, taking up a whole lane. Absolutely stupid! Not sure if anyone was killed as it was a blind curve, and it was shut down quickly.

Tourism is critical to Thailand, and this use of the beach would be a boon if properly managed.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Tourism is critical to Thailand, and this use of the beach would be a boon if properly managed.

And therein lies an issue. I have no problem with this isolated occurrence in Na Jomtien.... and let's face it, the seafood restaurants built out over the sea from Walking St are part of the 99 illegal businesses that have been threatened for decades. Is the beach still theoretically owned by the monarch, and as such to squat on it would be problematic?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya residents and netizens were peeved after a famous restaurant situated on a beachside reportedly put chairs and tables on the Na Jomtien Beach to accept customers.

Encroaching?

I'd say it was firmly established.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mickeymaus said:

They put their tables and chairs on a public area. Now try the following. Take a lot of friends with you and food and drinks (no alcohol on the beach - but does this restaurant care?) and sit in their chairs and enjoy the evening.

For sure they will try to remove you and your friends. They want to remove you and your friends from a public area that they are not allowed to use for business?

The whole point is to start taking a more adult approach. I know, I know, T.I.T.S., but sooner or later the adults are going to have to start using sensible solutions. I'm advocating for sooner than later.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

The whole point is to start taking a more adult approach. I know, I know, T.I.T.S., but sooner or later the adults are going to have to start using sensible solutions. I'm advocating for sooner than later.

We had this already... This shows Jomtien Beach in June 2022. The restaurants and vendors just did what they wanted and nobody cared. I could only find a link to a Thai and German news site - sorry. 

https://www.dailynews.co.th/news/1178891/

https://der-farang.com/de/pages/na-jomtien-haendler-muessen-strand-raeumen

1675647646100.jpg

5 minutes ago, rwill said:

I stayed at a resort in Hua Hin that set up tables on the beach at night for dinner service.  But they were all removed right after that.

Perhaps they are doing the same thing?

Looking at the picture of Jomtien beach at night that I posted earlier, it might not be a bad idea to have entertainment options other than red light districts and sex businesses at night. But it should not be organized by a beach mafia, but by local governments. There was a lot of chaos. Also traffic issues and lots of noise complaints as far as I remember.

I would much rather pay 80 baht for a large cool beer while sitting on these comfortable looking chairs and tables, than pay 50 baht to sit on a smelly chair with no beer.

If the authorities had any brains they would see how much more beautiful and inviting the beach looks with these good looking chairs and tables, rather than the other fools selling only smelly chairs and acting like mafia.

The stupid council paid for that vast expanse of empty sand to be dredged from the seabed, it's far larger than beachgoers down there need so I really don't see the problem. Just charge them a fee and give them a licence. There are two options: allow local businesses to make limited use of certain parts of the new beach in a regulated manner, or buy a dozen camels and start 'Crossing the Sahara Desert' tours for the Chinese tourists when they return, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

A line must be drawn someplace.... are we now to say all beach areas are available to other businesses as they choose? The damned deck chair vendors are bad enough. (Utilizing some similar allocation method as they get may be an idea). I expect this could cause disputes too.... and pollution and litter as tissues blow down the beach.  Bits of food discarded on the beach bring pack dogs and rats. Are beach walkers still allowed between the tables, can their pet dog take a dump next to a dining family?

I think chair vendors provide a very useful service.  Several years ago, Pattaya enforced Wednesdays as "chair free days", the vendors closed down and it was a joke.  People had no place to sit.  Short term tourists aren't going to go out and buy beach chairs and carry them from their hotel rooms.

I have watched many chair vendors along Jomtien beach from Dongtan to Na Jomtien at closing time.  I have never not seen them raking the area, picking up any trash and usually sweeping the adjoining sidewalk as well.

17 hours ago, dddave said:

I have never not seen them raking the area, picking up any trash and usually sweeping the adjoining sidewalk as well.

I used to use one one in Naklua.. ... at sunset he cleared all the rubbish on his spot, and threw it in the sea just down the beach. 

• Haha 1