Police Announce Procurement Plans for Traffic Barriers and Electronic Devices

webfact

image.jpeg

by Paul Rujopakarn

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Royal Thai Police (RTP) has announced plans to spend 22 million baht on road checkpoints, complete with light signals and stop signs.

The move follows recent accusations of extortion involving police officers and tourists, which prompted national police chief Pol Gen Damrongsak Kittiprapas to tighten rules at road checkpoints.

The procurement plan is in accordance with the Public Procurement and Supplies Administration Act 2017 and will see the procurement of 1,484 sets of traffic barriers.

The RTP’s Office of Logistics also plans to spend 98 million baht on 10,000 electronic devices to issue fines for fixed-penalty traffic offenses.

The national police chief noted that the procurement and other measures aim to increase transparency and accountability in the RTP’s operations, while providing a safer and more secure environment for tourists and the general public.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230206103622443

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-02-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 2

What a total waste of money. How about spending this on a proper police force with patrol cars that can go out to catch offenders on the road!! Ahhhhh, I forgot that the RTP driving skills leave a lot to be desired.  

Maybe first teach them to stop... I saw many times that cars and motorcycles at a checkpoint didn't stop at all when the police pointed them to put the car/motorcycle aside... They just drove on and the police was watching them go.....

And I am wondering why tourists must be named....Just to look good?? 

Edited by ikke1959

39 minutes ago, webfact said:

The RTP’s Office of Logistics also plans to spend 98 million baht on 10,000 electronic devices to issue fines for fixed-penalty traffic offenses.

That's a clear as mud.  Like what?

Holy  guacamoles a big fat envelope with these purchases you’re talking about holy guacamole’s. These guys can invest more ways to get money for themselves, mafia strikes again, TIT. And whatever happened with those Rolls-Royce engines for Thai airways bought how many millions to daycare for themselves?

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Maybe first teach them to stop... I saw many times that cars and motorcycles at a checkpoint didn't stop at all when the police pointed them to put the car/motorcycle aside... They just drove on and the police was watching them go.....

And I am wondering why tourists must be named....Just to look good?? 

They don't stop because they know they'll be shaken down. More traffic police actually patrolling might help, together with speed cameras, particularly in places other than Bangkok. And decent paving so people are not swiped on the head/run into whilst driver reading 'phone (well at least they'd feel the curb as they mount it), whilst walking. They should give more attention to pavements as they do in other countries. Even Cambodia has those. Always Bangkok, which is not Thailand.

Quite easy I would have thought. Every police man on the road with camera thingy . Fines to be paid direct to the tax office on a satellite payment device , or only at the police station with receipt. . For foreigners, obligatory tourist police or lawyer present. If you’re stuck in the sticks call to wife or friend.

But they don’t want to stop it do they. 

Did they say they are adding barriers in a city that is already logjammed due to traffic lights and railway crossings? 

Would have thought the RTP would want to avoid more traffic problems.

Interesting that someone said to himself, "no need to stop corruption, we can spend money on electronic barriers and i get 10% off the top." 

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The national police chief noted that the procurement and other measures aim to increase transparency and accountability in the RTP’s operations, while providing a safer and more secure environment for tourists and the general public.

How do traffic barriers aid in transparency?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

aim to increase transparency and accountability in the RTP’s operations, while providing a safer and more secure environment for tourists and the general public.

The two aims are incompatible. 'Driving whilst in possession of a white face' was always a red flag.  When Pattaya still had a police force I was stopped twice a week on average at the same check-point.