Smart City Developments to Generate 60 Billion Baht

snoop1130

3818cf599ee6d3e617a59c662932be0c_small.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Digital Economy and Society expects an initial investment of more than 60 billion baht from the public and private sectors in developing 30 smart cities across the kingdom.

Digital Economy and Society Minister Chaiwut Thanakamanusorn made the remarks after discussing preparations for developing Hua Hin into a Smart City with provincial officials and relevant agencies.

The smart city transition is expected to improve the quality of life for local communities, as well as help the resort city handle increased numbers of domestic and foreign tourists.

Smart Cities logos have so far been issued to 15 cities across 14 provinces in order to promote their capacities for attracting public and private investment. The success of these cities in developing into Smart Cities is projected to benefit some 16 million people.

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said the cities receiving the logos have played a crucial role in advancing urban development and optimizing the use of resources.

He added that these efforts help to improve people’s quality of life, while further noting that he expects work to be expanded so the smart cities ecosystem can reach other provinces and generate added value nationwide.

According to the prime minister, connected development will bring about income and progress without leaving anyone behind. He acknowledged, however, that local identities and ways of life need to be given due consideration along the way.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230207140611809

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-02-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

I read the title and thought making the smart cities would generate income, but it's the investment that will make the infrastructure for the smart cities. Just how will the smart cities generate income from the platform if it's designed to make life easier and improve quality of life. A smart phone, a lap top, or computer access to websites can not give people food and it does cost money to use the services.  Free wifi may help people who don't have the funds for using DTAC, TRUE, AIS or 3B on there phones to talk and message friends but whose funds are being expended....nothing is free in this world, someone pays in the end.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

Sounds to me that's a total rip off .

Shouldn't they ask the people first if they can use their money? If they agree maybe it may help the community,If they don't agree Scrap the Idea or use Govment money that in one sense is Peoples money also.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 5:04 AM, zzaa09 said:

Beware.

You're being played.

Could not agree with you more.   Not trying to invite anyone down a rabbit hole, but 30 is not a random number either..  I still don't and cannot use cell phones, so this will make my travel there (if I am able) next to impossible. These smart cities are very much tied into these devices (the vices) that people seem to be so spell bound by.

I suppose it is even folly to travel & think I would enjoy the company of a foreign woman who loves cell phones as much as any american woman. I could imagine trying to explain this with an added language barrier. they would think me even more insane than I already am.. ????

Not to you in particular, but to anyone here. What happened to the covid section?  Are visitors still required to get the jab to go there?  What are the requirements now?  Sorry for off topic, I can't see the covid section anymore.

Edited by Cult of the Sun

I was a developer on a big data smart cities project in wellington a few years ago. I don't see how it benefits the people because it is mainly about monitoring and data gathering. People, vehicles, crime, electric vehicles, parking, roads. 

For instance highly accurate people counting cameras enclose a space so real time crowd monitoring is possible. 

Add mach address monitoring and to that you can monitor people moving from space to space. 

Then add economic models ( for events ) which many western cities seem to have. Then city income , from say an event, can be estimated in real time.