Gum pain even after more than 1 year after the dental crown

Lim Yuan Hai

It is painful whenever dental floss touches the gum (between tooth no. 25th and 26th. The corner between the gum and the crown, to be exact). The question is why I still have pain as the crown was put on my tooth more than 1 year ago. I am extremely sad.

Is there a way to determine the cause of this pain? (For example, X-ray?)

Which type of dentist should I see to know the cause of the pain and remedy it?

Can the crown (Zirconia) be removed without harming the underlying tooth and its structure?
(The crown is glued to the underlying tooth using strong glue according to the prosthodontist)

A brief history:

The prosthodontist put 2 crowns on tooth no. 25th (after root canal) and 26th simultaneously around end January 2022, around 1 year ago.

There is severe pain after the crowns. I had to do a root canal through the crown on tooth no. 26th and the dental implant on tooth no. 35th because the dentists could not find the cause of pain.

Anyone who is kind, knowledgeable or experienced about it kindly advises. 

The dentist should be able to remove the crown. I think the adhesive they use is sensitive to certain  wavelengths of light, so they can shine a particular light  on the crown and it softens the glue so they  can remove it. 

Have a look at Thanatakit International Dental in Bangkok  https://www.thantakit.com

They do crowns, and implants.

I have used them and was happy with their work.

1) does using Sensodyne , or equivalent, toothpaste help the pain ?

2) if you can take ok, does ibuprofen help the pain ?

3) is the pain only from touching the gum ?

4) is the pain present all of the time ?

5) since an implant is usually a two step procedure, did the pain start after the insertion of the base or after the installation of the top tooth part ?

an oral surgeon or neurologist might be able to diagnose

OP, I am sorry for your experience, but my experience has been quite different.  I've had just about every dental procedure known to man done in Thailand and they've been consistently excellent.  This includes root canal, crown, bridge, cleaning, extractions, fillings, etc.

There's no one here on this forum who can answer your question without directly examining you.  Go see a dentist.  If you're not happy with the first, go to a second.  Then a third.  Get an x-ray.  Or CT scan.  Your problem is not normal.  Get it fixed, and by a professional. 

Edited by Berkshire

3 hours ago, Berkshire said:

OP, I am sorry for your experience, but my experience has been quite different.  I've had just about every dental procedure known to man done in Thailand and they've been consistently excellent.  This includes root canal, crown, bridge, cleaning, extractions, fillings, etc.

There's no one here on this forum who can answer your question without directly examining you.  Go see a dentist.  If you're not happy with the first, go to a second.  Then a third.  Get an x-ray.  Or CT scan.  Your problem is not normal.  Get it fixed, and by a professional. 

This

• Thumbs Up 2

yes OP .....  something is obviously amiss .....   could be an infection deep under the crown .....   go see another dentist and explain the situation and continued pain.  He will probably x-ray and see what the problem is exactly.

On 2/8/2023 at 8:12 AM, phetphet said:

The dentist should be able to remove the crown. I think the adhesive they use is sensitive to certain  wavelengths of light, so they can shine a particular light  on the crown and it softens the glue so they  can remove it. 

Have a look at Thanatakit International Dental in Bangkok  https://www.thantakit.com

They do crowns, and implants.

I have used them and was happy with their work.

A bit of science fiction there!

Having a similar problem myself (though only when I bite on the front quarter of the tooth) so am hoping they can remove the crown, resolve the issue then put it back as I’ve just spent 35K on Invisalign retainers. 

If they can’t I’ll be “Biting” (don’t have a problem chewing) on the other side of my mouth for the next 3 years.