Dilema.... lost Australian Sim card and now need to reinstate to receive Bank SMS confirmations

Kenny202

Hi all. Came here about 8 years ago. kept my Australia number as I figured I may need it to do banking etc. As it turns out, one of my banks did and still do require SMS verifications etc when logging on. Ridiculous as they are the only Australian bank (U bank) out of 4 I deal with that insist on this. So I lost my sim card....Didn't worry about it for a couple of years but now need the Oz number again. I initially thought no probs as I bought some blank sim cards from the Australian carrier (Vodafone) but on closer inspection they are the older larger style Micro sim, not the current Nano and I don't have a phone they will fit in. Apparently no way to modify them either.

Any ideas fellers? I am currently going through an identification process with Vodafone to at least reinstate my account. I am guessing they wont send a replacement sim O/S. Is there any other way to receive an SMS, perhaps online / PC as an Australian number? I remember there were places would give you an Aussie number and there was a way you could receive SMS on a PC. Any help or ideas appreciated.

You can still get SIM cutters: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sim-cutter-3in1-micro-nano-sim-for-smartphone-i4289859659-s17044598734.html?spm=a2o4m.tm80167383.similar-items.d_1.2ed724bcsAlvQM.2ed724bcsAlvQM

Can your phone handle eSIMs? If so, can easily get an Aussie eSIM.

Can always buy an Aussie number but not sure if I'd rely on one for banking:  numerous places available  e.g https://www.textmagic.com/

10 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

You can't cut them down to size with Stanley knife or similar? I've don't that before. Or do you mean that the gold-coloured section is oversized?

I have done that too but I think that was when you wanted to go from the first large size sim to micro, according to Google you cant cut a Micro to make a Nano....and yes it does look like the metallic section itself of the micro is bigger than the whole Nano card. They say online the macro cards are also thicker and will get stuck in your sim slot if you force them in

I cut the sim down and looks like it may have actually worked. Won't know for sure until I activate it though. It comes up with the 4 bars but a cross on it. I think it would normally say NO SIM when booting up

NAB. Possibly like me.

They need your phone number so they send you  security numbers. 

So put simply you need a phone number. 

Your app won't work properly with some things without your own phone number.

Get a Thai SIM card and get SKYPE and ring them in Aus. Will probably take up to 30 min of swearing, but after you answer all their million questions, they will register the new number.

Then you do it all again when you change back to your Aus SIM.

32 minutes ago, norbra said:

Or get an older 4G capable phone that uses larger sim card, maybe you have one after being here 8 years

Surprisingly I don't. Got an old Iphone 3 I brought with me, even that is Nano. And got an older Samsung at least 6 years old Nano. Anyway hopefully cutting down the sim to Nano size will work, I am quietly confident atm

40 minutes ago, carlyai said:

NAB. Possibly like me.

They need your phone number so they send you  security numbers. 

So put simply you need a phone number. 

Your app won't work properly with some things without your own phone number.

Get a Thai SIM card and get SKYPE and ring them in Aus. Will probably take up to 30 min of swearing, but after you answer all their million questions, they will register the new number.

Then you do it all again when you change back to your Aus SIM.

Is "U bank", NAB's online bank little brother. All online and no frills or branches but big interest. Everything was fine with them but they recently "updated" their system and everything back to the way it was re needing SMS confirmations to transfer or even log onto your account. They even cancelled my password as they said not strong enough for the new system. I did better than 30 mins of swearing, I wasn't gentle either. Sent email, went up the ladder etc. Just impossible to use their system if you want to transfer money or log on without an Australian number. Now I am having identity issues with Vodafone and have to jump through all their hoops. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I initially thought no probs as I bought some blank sim cards from the Australian carrier (Vodafone) but on closer inspection they are the older larger style Micro sim, not the current Nano and I don't have a phone they will fit in. Apparently no way to modify them either

It seems that you must have quite old SIMS as all the current ones are 3 sizes in one, you just detach the side you want. However there are SIM punches that will punch out either a micro or nano size sim. There is no problem in punching out a nano from a micro or regular SIM. The punch’s are widely available and probably any phone shop will have one and trim your SIM for a few Baht or free. 
I have one of the punches somewhere.

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

Don't they require your exact number for and verification that was listed on your account?  Not just any Aussie #?    

it has to be your number because every time you transfer or even log onto your account you get an SMS security code from them. I could probably get my son to do it the first time but moving forward definitely need my own Aus number