Correct and safe usage of Camphor against insects

Mickeymaus

I had holes in some sheets and ordered Camphor from Lazada. I've read before that it's supposed to be safer than mothballs. For this reason I ordered it. 

Before ordering and now where I have it I googled a lot and some sources say it is a very strong poison that can kill you easily or damage your health even in small quantities. Other sources use it for cosmetic purposes or as a sleep aid.

Does anyone have experience with this and how can I use it safely?

1676171210489.jpg

16761715083081.jpg

Somebody moved this topic to Health and Medicine. Okay. It can be used for this purpose. But I want to use it as insecticide.

Nobody has ever used this stuff?  It's really confusing. Some websites describe it is used for health purposes, some against insects, and Wikipedia writes "In general, ingestion of two grams causes serious toxicity and four grams is potentially fatal.". This is almost nothing. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camphor

I have 100 grams and could kill 25 people with it. OK. I could use 12 grams for that ????????. What do I do with the 88 grams that are left ?????

I don't know what to do with this stuff now. I'm too scared to open the package. I also have no idea how to safely dispose of it. Financially - it was only 55 Baht. But on the other hand people are using it for health purposes, even as sleeping aid. This and the Wikipedia warning makes no sense to me.

you are not going to eat it, but insects don't like smell of it.

Put in wardrobe on shelves, behind different furnichure, same as with mothball.

If insects are coming through bathroom pipes, do put also there.

If you have house, you can put ourside walls, on balcony, in shed, garrage - rats, mouse, snakes and the other small animals also don't like that smell.

Mothball is cheaper, at macro 1kg 120b

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

you are not going to eat it, but insects don't like smell of it.

Put in wardrobe on shelves, behind different furnichure, same as with mothball.

If insects are coming through bathroom pipes, do put also there.

If you have house, you can put ourside walls, on balcony, in shed, garrage - rats, mouse, snakes and the other small animals also don't like that smell.

Mothball is cheaper, at macro 1kg 120b

Mothballs are evidently good for moths and larvae.

It is very doubtful about the rest.

The balls and fumes are toxic to humans, particularly children who may confuse  them with candy.

They are banned in many countries including the EU and NZ.

• Thanks 1

Sorry that I interrupt your passport discussion. No idea how your answers ended up here. Perhaps the Moderators will find out and correct this.  Back to my topic. 

----------------

Thanks for your answers. Not many people seem to use this stuff. Perhaps they all killed themselves already. 

I was just wondering. People buy this in big quantities on the Internet because they like the smell or try to keep bad spirits away or for whatever other reason. There is nowhere a warning how toxic it is. I doubt that all of them know this. I think I will try to get rid of it and buy something with Cedarwood. 

Mothballs - I remember in some hotel rooms on the Philippines - they were everywhere. About 30 years ago there was no Google and not much Internet where you could check the health effects. But I had a very bad feeling at this time already and I always put them in a plastic box that I carried with me for this purpose at this time and put them back when I checked out. I would never buy them.

I thought Camphor is a safer alternative. It is. But for me still not safe enough. Will try Cedarwood. But first I will check how toxic this is...

Edited by Mickeymaus

Still this passport discussion here at my topic. But back to Camphor. 

I could not resist and had to try this poisonous Camphor in my bathroom. It was full of ants. I put a razor there to give you a sense of the dimensions.  I put a bit of Camphor there and closed the door. A big surprise. When I checked about an hour later, there wasn't 1 ant to be seen. It didn't kill them. They all fled.

But again - this stuff is highly toxic. I always use gloves. 

Xa 20230220_172041.jpg

Edited by Mickeymaus

1 hour ago, indyo said:

camphor is also a component (16%) of the 20B inhaler so famous here 

My goodness. I've used them many times - almost addicted to them. Will buy some tomorrow. But they use small amounts there. It is also found in the famous Tiger Balm and other products. But my camphor is supposed to be 100 percent according to the seller. After it evaporates nothing should be left. I will see. 

Camphor addiction is a common problem in India and it causes neurological symptoms of addiction and withdrawal, which affects the person’s activity of daily living:

https://jmscr.igmpublication.org/home/index.php/current-issue/9177-camphor-addiction-a-prospective-study-of-camphorated-oil-use-its-outcome-over-the-period-of-10-years-in-tertiary-care-centre