Anyone know of a local company who might insure for theft of 1984 Jeep?

rabiedabruce

Having just restored my Willy, the only insurance company - Thai Pattana -  who will offer me insurance of any kind (3rd party only as it's well over 10 years old - 1984)  does not include 'Theft'. Bit necessary around these parts, together with having spent a small fortune on it getting it restored.

Is anyone able to let me know of a company who will cover Theft for a vehicle this age (I'm aware first class out of the question)? Thanks

Just put a GPS tracker + 2 seperate apple air tags in the car. If it ever gets stolen you would know where it is right away and they won't know about the airtags until 8-12 hours later (if they use iphone).

They will rip the original GPS tracker right away and think to be safe. Have them in all my bikes, works like a charm, battery last a year.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

3 minutes ago, warrima said:

So ( at least) one of your bikes was stolen and you successfully recovered it? 

Actually someone took my bike by accident, same model 2012 click, same colors, somehow his key worked on mine too. I then located it and got it back. Same principle I guess? The funny part was my key didn't work on his bike.

The apple airtags are just a bit bigger than a 10 baht coin.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Just put a GPS tracker + 2 seperate apple air tags in the car. If it ever gets stolen you would know where it is right away and they won't know about the airtags until 8-12 hours later (if they use iphone).

They will rip the original GPS tracker right away and think to be safe. Have them in all my bikes, works like a charm, battery last a year.

The GPS tracker is a good idea, I don't know much about Apple Airtags but Lazada have everything. Still, there must be an insurance company who would insure somewhere as I've seen a few of these jeeps about lately. Some company is charging 2.5k per day in Patong, I won't be asking them as they're not particularly 'friendly'.

So the well hidden tracker (will look into airtags) looks ok but it'll be difficult to get the plods off of their backsides to go fetch (been there done that with a lost for good chopper). A Thai chum mentioned some place in town, 'Wittaya' (?) but the only name remotely like it has terrible reviews. A belt and braces approach will have me sleeping at night. Anyone?

Insurance for classic cars has long been a problem in Thailand.  Third party liability isn't an issue, but cover for loss or damage to the vehicle itself is.

Insurers are reluctant to insure do to lack of spare parts in case of an accident and no formal way of determining the value of a classic car.

ThaiSri Insurance touted an insurance product for classic premium cars (Porsche, Benz, etc.) some years ago. I think they targeted those with a collection of several cars that weren't daily drivers. Best to contact a broker and ask if ThaiSri is still offering this product, but I think that a jeep would be outside of their risk appetite.

4 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I then located it and got it back. Same principle I guess?

Ok so if it wasn't as per this case where someone (presumably docile) accidently took your bike, what was your plan if you followed the airtag and it landed it you at the home of a criminal gang - probably armed?

13 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I have a restored 1986 model car. Stock restoration with no modifications.  I have it insured with AXA and I have dealt with the Phuket office for over 14 years with no issues.

I'd used AXA before and found them to be very good. However, when I contacted them again they said they wouldn't insure. It's possible they insure your car as a long term customer without a ten year hiatus. There are a couple of brokers with one being highly recommended, I'll try them. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Welp. Only 3rd and no Theft. So God knows what that guy who bought a 4 year restore 2 million baht Mercedes is going to do. Ir's even older than mine. I really don't understand this. They insure antiques! Absurd.

Looking at spontaneous combustion if anyone tampers with the driving mechanism. Any SAS out there?