Pituitary MRI in Bangkok - cheaper than Bumrungrad?

ericdk

My endocrine doctor recommends a pituitary MRI, which costs 30.000 THB with Bumrungrad, which I find offensive, since a basic brain MRI can be had for like 8000 THB.

I do realise that it is better to have it done in the same hospital as the doctor, but this is still an obscene price.

Anyone know of a place to get this done cheaper and if this is a reasonable thing to do? Or must I bite the bullet and pay Bumrungrad?

mrithailand.com

they gave only tesla 1.5 machines.

At their HQ at prachachuen they do have one Amira machine, the most advanced. They charge the same with lesser quality Avanto, Symphony at their branches elsewhere.

Check with your dr what machine they have at Bum and if he would accept 1.5T from elsewhere.

If you have time you can try at the governmental hospitals 3T.

Edited by internationalism

Vimut hospital have brand new machines. Phaya Thai 2 are cheaper but not significant.

I can recommend the doctors in both hospitals. The doctors anyway move a lot between hospitals.

You even can find at Rhamatibuthi Hospital doctors from Bhumrungrad and Bkk hosp.

At the end money is not so important. Health counts! Dont save, spend!

Edited by Tom H

You probably need an MRI with contrast media. This always costs more and, more importantly, carries a small but serious  risk such that I can't recommend doing it outside of a hospital. It would be much cheaper at an imaging center for sure, but at a risk.

Also need to consider the caliber of the machine which will not be same as at Bumrungrad and, lastly, the protocol used. Getting a good view of the pituitary on MRI usually requires a special protocol with multiple views. I suggest you read  https://radiopaedia.org/articles/pituitary-gland-protocol-mri

It is far more complex than a standard MRI of the brain. 

It would cost less at some other hospitals e.g. less expensive private hospitals like Bangkok Christian or -- least expensive -- a government hospital like Chulabhorn. But you can't just walk in and ask for it,  would have to see a Doctor on staff  first, bringing all your records with you. And also need to consider whether the radiologists where you go are thoroughly familiar with the special technique.

It doesn't matter in the least if the MRI is done at same hospital as your doctor (wherever done you can get it on DVD)  but it does matter whether the MRI is done to correct specifications....right machine, right protocol (which does call for some experience on the part of the radiologist and  technician).  Not all MRIs are the same. If you do decide to get it done elsewhere, first get a detailed written order from your doctor to ensure you get what you need. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sheryl, you are clever, do you think I should do a pituitary MRI if only I have low cortisol and all my other hormones and ACTH etc are normal?

Or should I wait until I get home, even though that might take a long time to get one through the public system?

if you are healthy, no any symptoms, low cortisol might be just your physics.

Treating addison's disease carries risks.

Cortisol is also made by adrenal glands.

Do regular check ups, watch for symptoms.

See HGH blood test for pituitary cancer, if it wasnt done yet, that is 200b.

Enroll at the governmental hospital, at least to have second opinion.

Ketoconazole (antifungal) can lower cortisol (is used also for cushing - which is opposite to addison). That in case if you were taking it recently and doctor missed it.

Because you don't have insurance go just for basic but regular check ups at the governmental hospital.

Edited by internationalism

8 hours ago, ericdk said:

Sheryl, you are clever, do you think I should do a pituitary MRI if only I have low cortisol and all my other hormones and ACTH etc are normal?

Or should I wait until I get home, even though that might take a long time to get one through the public system?

Way above my pay grade, you need to consult an endocrinologist about that.