Settle a pub "discussion"

Passport or an "approved" copy.  Problem is, they never fully defined what constituted an approved copy.  I still don't know if they can be laminated, reduced, be in black & white, 

Also, from what I hear, passport main page is not enough, needs to include visa page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Photo on your phone of:  pp pic page, original visa, latest extension and, if you are a pedant, your last TM30 and last 90 day report receipt .  End of discussion.

Oh,  and lock away your passport in a secure dry place.  

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Because it's asked over and over and the short answer is "don't carry your passport" 

OK that's your advice but "the law says"? Maybe you were in the pub. 

Maybe i'll give up helping people when they ask questions and join the masses with opinions.

If it is a worn out thread subject then someone knows the actual answer? 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Love It 1

A few years ago, when the Immigration Department was starting to enforce the TM30 rule (I think that's what it was), they set up camp with a couple of tables and two or three officers in the lobby of the condo building where we own a unit.

I think this was the only time in over thirty years I have been asked to produce my passport by a police officer while simply out and about.

• Like 1

I might be wrong I don't read Thai so I can't read Thai law.

But the way I have it is that the law state that you need to bring your passport. 

Bit TIT so that is not really enforced. If they ever ( and I have never been asked) ask for it, a photo copy or a drivers license would be OK .

Carrying a passport in the rain could ruin it. 

No point in argue about it. Just separate law from what is reality.

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not enforced otherwise traffic cops would be raking in it in, they wouldn't miss an opportunity 

Yeah. Not enforced and even ignored, for the most part. 

Greatly dependent on local and the company one keeps. 

I've never bothered to carry my passport around, less any type of ID - all activities within the confinements of the province. Never asked or never checked. 

Carry my papers when traveling elsewhere, of course. 

This type of mindset [the ever dreaded mandate to having ID at all times] usually associates itself with newbies or folks that don't keep Thai circles. Unbridled paranoia....

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

If it is a worn out thread subject then someone knows the actual answer

Yes everyone does know the answer to irrelevant question.

Law or not it's not checked or enforced as all the replies have indicated.

More a question a newbie may post. 

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Is it mandatory to carry passport at all times or do we get 24hrs to produce passport or maybe a 2000 baht fine.

No, it's not.

There is a requirement to carry ID though, but doesn't matter if it's a Thai driving license, pink ID card or passport. Don't know the fine if you have neither with you.

• Like 1