Plant Help Please

AcuDoc

I just had my "fish pond" dug and looking for plants to stop soil erosion. The sides are fairly steep and most of it is clay soil. Looking for low maintenance plants for ground cover or shrubs are fine that can take a lot of sun... It will be from the top tier, where I am standing  to the first level down which will be just above the water level...thanks in advance

Pond 3 copy.jpg

Edited by AcuDoc

Go visit Kinokuniya Bookstore (online or call can do) and buy a book on the subject of aquatic plants of Thailand or South East Asia. Interesting, you'll learn a lot about the species your planting too, and how to care for and manage them. 

• Sad 1

Those fish ponds are great.

When I go to Isaan with my Girlfriend we go to her Aunt's farm and they always ask me to catch the fish for a big family barbecue.

All they give is a long pole with a three foot line and a hook baited with worms.

Last time I caught about 40 Tilapia in 1 hour!

My GF says the Govt. even give a grant to stock the pond.....Not sure if that's true?....But, sounds like a Thaksin "vote winner" from yesteryear

Everyone is happy except the Uncle who sees his stock disappear when I arrive! :cheesy:

IMG_2582 (1).JPG

fishIsaan.JPG

Edited by Troy Tempest

Vetifer grass, yes used to stop soil erosion in Thailand. Also need to think about maintenance - some plants grow like crazy and will need cutting every 2 weeks in wet season. Initially, first year, need anything which will rapidly provide ground cover to stop erosion in the wet season. Once the soil consolidates a bit, can think of planting more permanent plants like trees. Expect to loose about 10 cms of the lower bank in the first year while plants establish and soil compacts. I wouldn't plant any trees on the lower bank as you could end up with a tree waiting to collapse into the pond in a few years.

Mango trees around our pond were the only ones to survive flooding which was bad the first 2 years. Aquatic plants - depends on if the pond is for fishing or beauty, Some nice colourful water lilies here in Thailand - but may spread rapidly or die off - usually one or the other! Do not put water hyacinth, water lettuce or Hornwort in the pond - can spread rapidly and choke pond.

6 hours ago, oldestswinger said:

Vetiver grass, obtainable from your local government agricultural office.

Thank you,  Ive been sitting here for 20 minutes trying to recall the name.  Excellent for such a job and they may still be supplying it for free (from Govt Ag).