Cats in Thailand ​????​

I have been traveling the world for several years now and I am used to feed street cats and build houses for them. At the end of April 2023, I am going to visit Thailand and stay for 4 months, and I was wondering what the situation is with cats there? Are there a lot of stray cats? And how do people look at someone who feeds them? ????

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 9:04 AM, Polar Bear said:

There are many street cats (and dogs) around all over the city, but the cats are better at staying hidden. People often feed them, but it can cause conflict because when food is left lying around it attracts rats and so on. 

Aside from that, feeding stray animals for a short period can do more harm than good. It encourages animals to move to the area because there is suddenly food available. Then a few months later there's no food and lots of hungry animals all looking for a new food source at the same time, it's like the cat distribution system. They end up fighting each other over food and no one is there to help with injuries.

Your efforts would be better directed to one of the local groups already working in Thailand, such as those that run the trap, neuter, release programs. There is also a large stray cat colony at Lumphini Park that has a group of feeders who might appreciate some short term help. 

Thank you, appreciate your tips. And yes, I am aware that it can sometimes do more harm than good. Every time I travel somewhere, I inform myself about the situation in advance. For example, in Kotor, Montenegro, there is such a small "cat settlement" with cat houses and food bowls. And that's what I usually look for when I travel somewhere.

I am looking for places where cats live and where I can either go and feed them, or find a group of people who would need help with trapping, etc. I don't want them fighting or traveling for food afterwards.

Thanks again for your reply. I'm looking forward to Thailand! ????

For an established colony, Lumphini Park would be your best bet. For TNR, you could contact Maria Thongklam. (She's easy to find online.) She does a lot of work with temple cats, and even if she doesn't need help with trapping, she may be able to point you to a temple or local feeder who would appreciate help. There's also PAWS Bangkok who might be able to put you in contact with someone who needs help.

6 hours ago, Ambronia said:

Thank you, appreciate your tips. And yes, I am aware that it can sometimes do more harm than good. Every time I travel somewhere, I inform myself about the situation in advance. For example, in Kotor, Montenegro, there is such a small "cat settlement" with cat houses and food bowls. And that's what I usually look for when I travel somewhere.

I am looking for places where cats live and where I can either go and feed them, or find a group of people who would need help with trapping, etc. I don't want them fighting or traveling for food afterwards.

Thanks again for your reply. I'm looking forward to Thailand! ????

Thais frequently feed stray cats and dogs. The soi dogs (strays) are usually well fed and in good condition. The same is true for stray cats. My condo guards adopted a cat out of a litter from nearby.

caption: A man feeds stray dogs in  vacant lot opposite Central Festival Mall in Pattaya.

20230225_180937.jpg

Edited by ozimoron