New Honda With A Bad Alarm System

i bought a new honda jazz 13 months ago, and had an alarm installed by the dealership.

i've since moved to a different province and the alarm has stopped working---i have to unlock/lock the doors manually, and the alarm sounds every other time i open a door.

i went to the honda dealership where i'm now located, and they were unable to fix the alarm because they aren't familiar with that brand of alarm. i contacted the dealership where i bought the car, and they said it wasn't their problem because the alarm is not covered by the car's warranty and that i should contact the manufacturer of the alarm (topgunner).

i did that by driving 6 hours RT to another province where topgunner has a representative, and the rep told me the alarm's warranty expired 6 weeks earlier and that he didn't have the part in stock but would mail it to me (at my expense for the part and shipping) and that my local honda dealer would be able to install it easily.

the part arrived last week, and i went to my local honda dealer today---- and they still couldn't do anything with the alarm or the new part.

i suppose i could drive back to the topgunner rep (making a total of 12 driving hours) and get them to install the part and repair the alarm, but it seems a bit unfair.

which leads me to my question.....

do you think it would be worth my while to contact honda corporate offices in thailand to make them aware of my situation....or is this just a case of bad luck and there's nothing i can do but grin and bear it?

thanks.

UCS

Honda HQ will probably shine you on, and tell you the same thing as the dealer... not their product or part, so not within their realm of responsibility or ability.

Try your local car stereo shop. They probably sell alarm systems, and can make your repair for a few baht.

Edited by bino

Honda HQ will probably shine you on, and tell you the same thing as the dealer... not their product or part, so not within their realm of responsibility or ability.

Try your local car stereo shop. They probably sell alarm systems, and can make your repair for a few baht.

Yes, that's the most sensible advice. You will just have to bite the bullet unless you want to take another caravan cross country.

A few years ago, I assumed when the Honda dealer in Bkk offered a free alarm with my newly purchased Honda CRV that it would be a legitimate fctory authorized alarm system installed.

I was wrong.

I haven't had any problems with it but it is definitely not the same quality as the Orig. honda alarm that a friend received.

I would write a letter to Honda Thailand and Honda HQ in Japan complaining about the poor business practices in Thailand at your particular dealer. Explain how these shoddy practices hurt the world wide reputation of Honda and its cars.

I would not expect to get any reply that would solve your problem but you would probably feel better. I know I would.

Yeah, I just bought a new VTEC top of line from Rama 4 Honda in Bangkok. I also was surprised that alarm system and door locks system was aftermarket. Evidently, the factory original alarm doesn't have the bells and whistles so they retro-fit an aftermarket system on top models.