Plumbing Problem

StevieAus

I am seeking advice on a puzzling plumbing problem, My house is supplied from a 2000litre storage tank using a Mitsubishi pump that operates when a tap etc is opened. 

In the second bathroom one of the toilets is operating the pump when the stop valve is turned on but no water being used. When switched off the pump doesn't activate

I have checked thoroughly there are no leaks and no water going into the toilet bowl. 

The toilet feed pipe in the wall also supplies the " bum spray " which has a seperate line and stop valve. 

When the valve is open and spray not being used it doesn't cause the pump to activate. 

I have replaced all of the toilet cistern mechanism the two stop  valves and swapped over each supply hose. 

Any suggestions would be welcomed

How often and for how long is the pump starting when the toilet is turned on?

Very slow leaks may not be apparent.

That said, it's odd that replacing all the toilet components hasn't fixed the issue, you could try adjusting the water level in the cistern down a bit, say by 1cm or so.

• Like 2

sometime is difficult to see water passing at float valve when siphon seal leaking

there is many type of siphon and float valve

best post photo of system when full

some problem common

- siphon rubber flap or seal bad

- siphon lift mechanism fault

- float valve bad adjustment water going to over flow pipe

- if one piece type toilet small leak can be seal under siphon valve

photo of common toilet type water under over flow pipe and siphon flap closed

different-types-of-toilet-fill-valves-4094288-hero-36904464b8984347843e4311c6a26769.jpg.1fb17e7dcb9de57ce415984bc312bed0.jpg

one piece toilet

toilet457ka3.jpg.d4ea1f7851fb373ab33330a222c022af.jpg

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

How often and for how long is the pump starting when the toilet is turned on?

Very slow leaks may not be apparent.

That said, it's odd that replacing all the toilet components hasn't fixed the issue, you could try adjusting the water level in the cistern down a bit, say by 1cm or so.

The pump will run until the cistern fills

Then will run intermittently for few seconds then stop then maybe after ten minutes or more run again

Water level we'll below level definitely ately no leaks from toilet had someone else look at it 

50 minutes ago, SomchaiDIY said:

sometime is difficult to see water passing at float valve when siphon seal leaking

there is many type of siphon and float valve

best post photo of system when full

some problem common

- siphon rubber flap or seal bad

- siphon lift mechanism fault

- float valve bad adjustment water going to over flow pipe

- if one piece type toilet small leak can be seal under siphon valve

photo of common toilet type water under over flow pipe and siphon flap closed

different-types-of-toilet-fill-valves-4094288-hero-36904464b8984347843e4311c6a26769.jpg.1fb17e7dcb9de57ce415984bc312bed0.jpg

one piece toilet

toilet457ka3.jpg.d4ea1f7851fb373ab33330a222c022af.jpg

IMG20230224165231.thumb.jpg.58b30fe6f83af14fae6e750cccc61053.jpgIMG20230224165256.thumb.jpg.94376bdc2d40eaf62296503de5c56171.jpgIMG20230224165231.thumb.jpg.58b30fe6f83af14fae6e750cccc61053.jpgIMG20230224165256.thumb.jpg.94376bdc2d40eaf62296503de5c56171.jpg

44 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Water level we'll below level definitely ately no leaks from toilet

Well, the water is leaking somewhere.???? Isolate the cistern and see how much water is in there tomorrow.

Or the cistern level control valve is leaking water into the bowl even though the water is at the correct level. You can usually see this as ripples in the toilet bowl.

Edited by VocalNeal

On 2/24/2023 at 5:27 PM, VocalNeal said:

Well, the water is leaking somewhere.???? Isolate the cistern and see how much water is in there tomorrow.

Or the cistern level control valve is leaking water into the bowl even though the water is at the correct level. You can usually see this as ripples in the toilet bowl.

Thanks for your response

I have tried all of the above all the internal parts in the cistern have been replaced

I have watched the water in the bowl when the pump activates and held tissue to see if there is any moisture 

There is no evidence of leakage anywhere from the stop vslves hides etc

I have a friend a retired plumber from Australia and a local plumber who has been involved in 

Building hotels neither can find the problem

One clue perhaps the bum spray although from the same supply but with a seperate line and stop valve doesn't activate the pump unless being used

A bottle of Aussie red wine to he or she who solves the mystery

On 2/24/2023 at 5:38 PM, GregTN said:

Try putting food coloring in the tank and let it sit for awhile and see if the color appears in the bowl.  If it does then the flapper valve or one of its components has failed.

Thanks will try please see my response to Vocal Neal

12 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I have a friend a retired plumber from Australia and a local plumber who has been involved in 

Building hotels neither can find the problem

Highly recommended Swiss plumber will fly in and guarantee results, air fare plus 2 nights hotel plus Sfr 300 per day per diem.