Bangkok Was A Little Too Much For Me Recently

Dancali

The massive amounts of people, noise, pollution, heat, inefficiency, etc. got to me.

I'm generally quite happy with Bangkok. I've been here for quite a while now (more than a year). And I have an ok idea of what Bangkok is like.

But I decided to spend my Sunday taking a little adventure on the new subway. I went with my gf from Silom to the mall in Lad Phrao. I don't plan on doing this again.

The subway was loud and packed. More than I have ever seen the sky train packed and I've been riding the sky train for a long time now. Further, and not to sound too snobby, the people were much more "normal" than the more professional types you might find on the sky train. I was given quite a few good rude, unnecessary shoves by people going this way or that; apparently, "excuse me" or "kaw tot na" were not good enough options for them.

Our cattle herd of people was dropped off at the station near the Lad Phrao Central Mall. It was then a mass of people trying to walk on the bridge to get to the mall. It was a standstill at the bottlenecks. There was more pushing, and even some really distasteful, obvious cutting.

Finally getting to the mall was no sanctuary and there were just masses of people. It made MBK look peaceful and quiet. I looked at the ceiling panels in a somewhat dilapidated state and started thinking about the recent news about 3,000 buildings in Bangkok being in a dangerous state.

We went to buy a movie ticket and there was at least a 20 minute wait. And the noise level in the movie theatre area was so loud we could barely talk.

This was just a very unpleasant time. Certainly no Sunday afternoon stroll.

I'm thinking that with the new subway opening and the 10 baht promotion, there were many more people than normal and neither the subway nor the mall are normally this crowded.

Shows you:

-what a 20 baht difference in ticket price does for a mass transport system

:o

-what "a route that actually makes sense" does for a mass transport system

Looking at Bangkok and where the bulk of the traffic goes, I'd say the BTS route is a bit of a joke. I've joked before that it seems designed to link the Farang nightspots together, never in the past could you get from Soi Cowboy or Soi 33 to Patpong so quickly and conveniently :D

So: Congratulations to BKK on the first REAL mass transport system! They actually planned a useful route first!!

Cheers,

Chanchao

Sorry but why would any slightly sensible person, or even one who does not like mixing with the proletariat, go on the subway the first day of opening and then complain of crowds?

It sounds far more civilised than the underground in serveral cities such as London rush housr or Tokyo - do they still have professional pushers to squeeze people into the carriages?

Even my gf, a bangkok native, found the experience very unpleasant.

She thought it was largely due to the fact that this is indeed a "useful" route where lots of people actually live and commerce.

To be fair, I was already not feeling so hot that day. My cherished fast internet had been out for a couple days and I had wasted hours with bad cs trying to get it worked out. And my plain coffee at Starbucks, which should take all of 30 seconds to serve, had me waiting for 10 minutes until I came and reminded them about my order.

Sorry but why would any slightly sensible person, or even one who does not like mixing with the proletariat, go on the subway the first day of opening and then complain of crowds?

It sounds far more civilised than the underground in serveral cities such as London rush housr or Tokyo - do they still have professional pushers to squeeze people into the carriages?

I agree,

How can you pretend to use the subway in the first operational days, on Sunday afternoon, !!!!!

.... and than complain about the crowd too!!!

..... but may be you come from Alaska and your gf has 4 BMW and 5 drivers (the extra one is not really a driver but a SEX MACHINE).

Why don't you come with me to watch Real Madrid-Barcelona and we go to the Areana just 10 minutes before the beginning of the match, so you will have something else to complain about :D:o

What else do you expect from a third world country? These people where sitting in the dirt in the jungle just a generation or two ago. They have not invented anything useful, nor can they figure out how to use the things they have gotten (or copied) from westerners. I've also had enough of the pollution, crowds, rude behaviour, gold digging women, lies and lack of even common sense.

worst than a third world country where people know where they come from .... there are some second world countries where people forgotten their origins and behave like Gods or Vips, just because they can afford to buy a big car with the tea money they get from foreign companies.

If you hate Thailand, please visit Malaysia and South Korea where rude, unpolite and arrogant people are the 99,99% of the population, and you'll never get a smile indeed.

.... in Thai at least you can be God with 2 condoms and 50$ in your wallet :o

The massive amounts of people, noise, pollution, heat, inefficiency, etc. got to me.

I'm generally quite happy with Bangkok. I've been here for quite a while now (more than a year). And I have an ok idea of what Bangkok is like.

But I decided to spend my Sunday taking a little adventure on the new subway. I went with my gf from Silom to the mall in Lad Phrao. I don't plan on doing this again.

The subway was loud and packed. More than I have ever seen the sky train packed and I've been riding the sky train for a long time now. Further, and not to sound too snobby, the people were much more "normal" than the more professional types you might find on the sky train. I was given quite a few good rude, unnecessary shoves by people going this way or that; apparently, "excuse me" or "kaw tot na" were not good enough options for them.

Our cattle herd of people was dropped off at the station near the Lad Phrao Central Mall. It was then a mass of people trying to walk on the bridge to get to the mall. It was a standstill at the bottlenecks. There was more pushing, and even some really distasteful, obvious cutting.

Finally getting to the mall was no sanctuary and there were just masses of people. It made MBK look peaceful and quiet. I looked at the ceiling panels in a somewhat dilapidated state and started thinking about the recent news about 3,000 buildings in Bangkok being in a dangerous state.

We went to buy a movie ticket and there was at least a 20 minute wait. And the noise level in the movie theatre area was so loud we could barely talk.

This was just a very unpleasant time. Certainly no Sunday afternoon stroll.

I'm thinking that with the new subway opening and the 10 baht promotion, there were many more people than normal and neither the subway nor the mall are normally this crowded.

The quality of life in Thailand can definitly not be found in Bangkok.. :o

It was dumb for me to take the subway around the opening day (it wasn't THE opening day, I think). I just knew the subway was finally open, I didn't know it had just opened.

And no need to bash Thailand, that's not what I was doing. Just talking about a rather unpleasant experience I had. Perhaps it will save others from going through what I did.

My fast internet is working pretty good again and I haven't had to leave my condo for the last coupla days, so Bangkok looks really nice to me again :o .

It was dumb for me to take the subway around the opening day (it wasn't THE opening day, I think). I just knew the subway was finally open, I didn't know it had just opened.

Actually it was the first full day of public operation and there were thousands of joy riders taking the trip. Add the fact of no proper sign or operating instructions it is no wonder what happened. I took it today and was very good experience. They still need to put streets on the exit signs but they at lease have small airport type stand signs in place now.

Central Plaza Lat Phao is the original shopping mall in Thailand so it may be showing its age but still, normally, attracts an up-market crowd.

What else do you expect from a third world country? These people where sitting in the dirt in the jungle just a generation or two ago. They have not invented anything useful, nor can they figure out how to use the things they have gotten (or copied) from westerners. I've also had enough of the pollution, crowds, rude behaviour, gold digging women, lies and lack of even common sense.

So I suppose you are here to teach the uncivilized? :o

You are luckier than most Thais....you can choose to leave. The Thais will just have to tolerate your presence. :D

Then why are you in Thailand? Is someone forcing you to live in a country that you so despise? I mean talking about a lack of common sense, perhaps a peak in the mirror is in order.

I was determined to try out the Subway last Sunday, so I hired the services of a prostitute (as I had no travelling companion) and we went from Sukhamvit to Petchaburi Rd (1 stop).

It was EXACTLY like the subway in Singapore only there were no signs saying how many minutes waiting time until the next train arrived.

I also had to stand up and I felt a little claustrophobic after using the skytrain for so long. The prostitute loved it and thanked me and I thanked her for giving me a free Heiniken when her boss wasn't looking.

After exiting the subway, we went to 12Call's bar nr Pet Rd and we ate tasty food and drunk beer and I didn't mention my subway experience.

After this I gave the prostitute 100bht for a taxi home and I went to my apartment to eat a stale donut and plan my next day.

Dan Cali

You were not in "The Mall" Lat Prao

- that is at the opposite end of Lat Prao Road

at Bangkapi.

You were in "Central" Plaza Lat Prao

[it is unfortunate that "The Mall" Company should

use a generic for its name ... ]

His Majesty opened the Subway at 7.00pm

the night before - so Sunday was the first Joy Riding day

with groups going for several round trips before getting off.

I do not consider that this usage shows a "useful" route.

Crowds had travelled TO the Subway for a Cheap Joy ride.

The route may well be a useful one but on Sunday

it was the Subway itself that was the destination !!!

Roger

"The massive amounts of people, noise, pollution, heat, inefficiency, etc. got to me."

Actually those are some of the things I liked about my stay in BK!...

Are you sure you are staying in the right country?

London underground can be really dreadfull of late not to mention the strikes currently causing chaos!....and the food is all so crap and expensive!

Yaay for Thailand!

Bangkok is really starting to get on my nerves - I had to wait 45 minutes for a bus this morning (an AC one) and by the time it turned up my green tea was no longer cold and my pork stiks and sticky rice no longer hot. I was very angry, I really had to contain my anger.

I should have stayed in Chiang Mai. :o

I would bet that the manners of the people on the subway will improve over time. When I first came to Japan in 1978, people on the trains and subways were pretty rude, but they've improved a lot, except, of course, for rush hour and crowded inner-city lines like the Yamanote. When I broke my leg in 1997 in a motorcycle accident and was on crutches for 18 months, someone always got up and gave me their seat on the train as I commuted to work and back. I'm not saying that I haven't encountered rude people from time to time, but the change in manners between twenty-six years ago and now is dramatic and always being given a seat when I was disabled gave me a lot of faith in the Japanese public's movement toward self-improvement and basic decency. I think that the Thai people are a good bunch and will learn to act better as they get used to the subway. Possibly the people you encountered on Sunday may never have ridden a train before, either aboveground or underground. Even in Japan, though, it makes sense to ride the trains when they are the least crowded. I'm looking forward to trying out the new subway during my next visit to Bangkok. :o