Farangs Who 'go Native'.......

Luckydog

I visited an old friend up country where he lives in a little village with his Wife, her Kids and extended Family the other day, and frankly I was shocked!

He has gone completely Native......Dressing Thai, speaking Thai, eating Thai, waiing all over the place etc.

I asked my GF what the locals think of him. She told me that they laughed behind his back.

Now ain't that sad? There he is integrating himself to death, and they think it's funny.

And this got me thinking. At a time when Thailand is becoming more and more Westernized, what possible reason is there for us Farangs to go the other way?

By all means respect Thai customs, Religion etc, but keep your own for Gawd's sake!

I know, I know most of you do. But there are plenty of peeps who are losing their identity.

And I think it's a shame. Agreed?

Edited by Luckydog

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah, nothing wrong with it. He's just acting out some sort of fantasy role; "gone tropo" like something out of a Joseph Conrad novel.

Sort of like the middle class Casper Milquetoasts in the US, who get suited up in leather head to toe on the weekends, and mount their $45,000 "trailer queen" Harleys. THEY think they're Bad Ass Outlaws; everyone else is snickering at the sight of them.... :o

McG

I visited an old friend up country where he lives in a little village with his Wife, her Kids and extended Family the other day, and frankly I was shocked!

He has gone completely Native......Dressing Thai, speaking Thai, eating Thai, waiing all over the place etc.

I asked my GF what the locals think of him. She told me that they laughed behind his back.

Now ain't that sad? There he is integrating himself to death, and they think it's funny.

And this got me thinking. At a time when Thailand is becoming more and more Westernized, what possible reason is there for us Farangs to go the other way?

By all means respect Thai customs, Religion etc, but keep your own for Gawd's sake!

I know, I know most of you do. But there are plenty of peeps who are losing their identity.

i sort of think its a good thing to try and fit in but if the thais are taking the piss out of this guy , thats a shame, as he most probly thinks and feels he is doing the right thing. i suppose there is no right or wrong answer and its a case of what ever turns one on.

on the other hand id rather see this guy doing his thing than the dreadlocked, fully tattoed up, pierced horrid looking scanks that are getting around on koh tao at the moment. :D

everyone to there own thing, but the thais have a good old laugh looking at some of these shocking looking farang getting around the place and im sure they respect that dude more than these horrid things.

actually id like to see them all deported for causing a visual disturbence as they truly are a lot of shockers. :o

living on a bowl of rice a day is top fun as well, but at least they all hangout together as they can share the cost of the rice. :D

anyway, as long as that cat is feeling good and trying to fit in he is ok in my book. :D

thank you very much.

The problem is the guy has probably lost all kinds of face through tons of cultural goof-ups by waiing younger people, using the wrong wai, etc.. They should study up a bit and ask their partner before going local.

It's not about integrating yourself, it's about commanding respect.

Nothing wrong with assimilating into the soceity you live in. But when one loses their self indendity, ie tries to be someone or something they are not, that is when everybody will laugh behind your back, or not take you seriously to your face.

Soundman.

i pose the question,

is it better to be like this guy and go native, or is it better to be a bar hoping drunk, hormonger at a sea side resort.?

ill answer that one so none of you guys get confused. :o

i'll go with the guy going native. :D

thank you very much. :D

There's a lot more to "going native" than this.

What's wrong with speaking the language of the country your in?

What's wrong with eating Thai food?

I keep my identity by wearing my kilt every Thursday.Would the locals in Khon Kaen laugh at me for wearing a kilt to keep my own culture, or by wearing a sarong?

is it better to be like this guy and go native, or is it better to be a bar hoping drunk, hormonger at a sea side resort.?

I agree.

Edited by Neeranam

or you can look at it differently.

there is nothing wrong about going native.

if you migrate to a new country and marry localy then you become a local. and there is no point in living like an outsider for the rest of your life. its better to blend in. whats the point of moving your life to a new country and not learning the lingo and the culture.

every new migrant is loughed behind his back in thailand or any other country. so what??

in America acountry wich is floded by migrants from all over. everyone loughs about everyone. but most people try and blend in learn english and become americans.

Europe is now full of comunities that did not blend in. and I dont understand why they came there if they dont like the local customs etc..

you dont loose your identity by going native. you do gain an insight of the culture where you decided to spend your life.

you dont loose your faith or your morals just because you relocated. going native is not loosing identity its gaining a new culture that enlightens you.

I also cant see why the locals would be laughing behing his back unless it was because he messed up or maybe his wife was meaning the locals are just having a friendly joke about him turning thai and not actually being nasty about it.

Jake

There's a lot more to "going native" than this.

What's wrong with speaking the language of the country your in?

What's wrong with eating Thai food?

I keep my identity by wearing my kilt every Thursday.

just a quick question there mate,

do you wear your reg grundies under that kilt or do you let you old fella swing free.? :o

thank you very much.

I doubt the locals are laughing at him behind his back, I imagine he has a good laugh right along with them. The locals around me are always laughing when I speak with them because my Thai's not perfect and they find it completely hysterical that I can cut rubber trees!! I have a great laugh with them, it's all in fun. I think most people know that Thai's aren't very serious people. I've also been known to get around in a sarong because they're so easy, so cool (as in temperature, not funky :o ), so comfortable (I am female BTW). I'm not trying to be Thai, but I do live here so it's natural to speak their language, eat their food and pay respect to people by waiing (like saying thank you in our culture).

I think it's sad that more farang aren't more culturally aware of their surroundings. It's not about loosing your own identity but fitting in and not being disrespectful. An example - if I went around wearing a thin strapped, tight fitting singlet (which is completely normal in my own country) in my village, everyone would talk about me being a sl*t, so therefore I wear clothes that cover my shoulders and don't stick to me like glue. But when you get me out of my village into a touristy spot I'll wear "normal" clothes dependant on the weather... I think it's great your friend is having such a good time fitting in. Many farang could learn a valuable lesson from Thais about not taking life so seriously :D

There's a couple of guys, of Indian origin, in Edinburgh that speak English and eat Haggis suppers. What idiots.

My Thai boss was in Scotland and shook peoples hands and drank whisky - man was he embarrassed when I told him he was being laughed at.

Edited by Neeranam

when ever i sit with them try to speack their language and be as my thai friends are they never make fun, not even behind my back they respect me,

yes i do the wrong wai sometimes. and i call my mother-in-law dog sometimes, and then i start saying sorry.

but when ever there is work to be done i do it, work on our farm or someone esle farm i do it, lady down the street i help.

so i guess if you want to go native, must also become one in your help, and everything else.

There's a couple of guys, of Indian origin, in Edinburgh that speak English and eat Haggis suppers. What idiots.

My Thai boss was in Scotland and shook peoples hands and drank whisky - man was he embarrassed when I told him he was being laughed at.

Speaking English....no problem

Eating Haggis.....I'm not so sure! :o

My Thai friends and I always admire and never ridicule any foreigners (be it farangs, Koreans or Japanese) who try to speak Thai, which imo is quite different from what happens in America to non native English speakers trying to speak English.

terry57, no true jock would dream of wearing Reg Grundies under his kilt.

Chinthee, nothing wrong with the bucket of water. We have a western style bathroom but have a large earthenware pot in it, keeps the water well chilled and a good wake up when the heads a bit fuzzy from the night before.

:o:D:D

How is eating Thai and speaking Thai and using the Wai going tropo?

Most people will make mistakes when speaking Thai, sure that might result in a laugh at time but its hardly something to be ashamed of.

The most risky part is the Wai, and I have learnt just to follow my wife's lead on that.

This is not a bad thing at all I think its respectful, when in Rome and all that. Just so long as its all kept within moderation.

To the OP

Why would you be laughing at someome or making fun of him just because he’s choosing to integrate by paying heed to the local culture, traditions and values, and making the effort to get to know them? It’s a personal choice and benefits…. and just because you, yourself, choose not to do so, it doesn’t mean it’s wrong for someone else to do so.

Cultural integration means different things to different people. I've met people from different nationalities but I think it's self-selection, personal choice after weighed benefits. I see most farang expats(not tourists, or those in transition) here are not interested in living a cultural life. They have social life revolving around their own partying and clubs. The lack of interests in integration by many farangs (expats, not tourists) here bothered me more than the opposite.

For example many white westerners, in particular, do not make the effort to get to know Thailand culturally. They are white and think they know it all! They look down on us-thais, close themselves in their own little imagination community, and take us for granted and think we, the local thais are mostly dumb, however they soon jump and put on an act as soon as they see locals. When they first come here they are friendly and easy going. But over the years they have realized that they get all the attentions because they're white and starting to act like the untouchable god to be worshipped upon, or overestimated their self value and worth.

Please give me a break! It’s you and the same like kind, that the silent majority of the thai is laughing upon! :o

You're the idiot. And you're racist.

Edinburgh has a large Anglo-Indian community that is well established. So what's your problem with them?

Edinburgh has a large Anglo-Indian community that is well established. So what's your problem with them?

I think that there was a little bit of sarcasm in Neeranam's post. A true art-form that can frequently be misunderstood.

Cultural integration means different things to different people. I've met people from different nationalities but I think it's self-selection, personal choice after weighed benefits. .

Please give me a break! It's you and the same like kind, that the silent majority of the thai is laughing upon! :D

I agree with teacup assimilation makes people more culturally aware.

Look how many farang resent the word "tourist".

I have always believed that Thailand is for Thai people ,that means charming as they are ,that we should act as "European ambassadors" respect the Thai King,religion,culture,food and customs.

Respect does not necessarily mean fawning just awareness that there are differences.

Cultural relativity is only humiliating when you fail to understand your own reflection in the mirror.

:o Wiley Coyote

Maybe your girlfriend is jealous ?

Interesting analysis.

I would assume that the OP doesn't speak that much Thai. Wouldn't make that much difference anyway as the locals in the village would, in all probability, be speaking Laos or Khmen.

So there is a chance that she was protecting the OP or trying to make him feel more comfortable about his lack of integration.

I think the chap should be applauded for what he is doing. I don't need to say why, Terry and Teacup have already made a good job of that.

Neeranam is no racist. I think you misunderstood.

So they laugh at you if you try to be like them... and they resent/hate you if you are not like them.

A lose-lose situation.

Not much you can do except largely ignore what they think of you.

Edited by Eman

Thanks CD, I was being sarcastic :o

Thanks CD, I was being sarcastic :o

Unless someone can educate me, the most useful but missing emoticon is for irony.

It's bitten me too, it's clear to the poster that the intent is ironic, but reads as the opposite to those who 'don't get it'. In fairness since they can't see the face nor hear the tone, the misreading is understandable.

Regards

/edit format//

Edited by A_Traveller

Laughing behind his back!

He is losing face!

Does the guy know or care.

And if not, what does it matter?

Bit like walking down the street and thinking to yourself - "sh*t that girl/boy is ugly".

Has no effect on them.

I know a few western immigrants who have "gone native" to some extent - I admire them. I try to sometimes but am not very good at it.

As long as the immigrant has a good sense of humour I think the Thais laugh with them, not at them, it can be good fun learning, and living, each others' culture.

The immigrants who are missing out are those who live in western condos in the big cities, shop only in the major western stores, go to western bars/clubs and have little contact with Thais except middle class English speakers - but many of them are, of course, experts on Thai culture!