Farangs Who 'go Native'.......

Luckydog

Howdy,

I been following the topic a few days, and had a thought about it. Looking at it from the Thais point of view, I too laugh at white guys acting black or hispanic. Ever see a white man walking like a black man or talking like a Mexican? Just to be cool?

I see nothing funny about the way a black man walks, or a mexican talks, unless a white man is doing it. Only thing funnier is a white woman acting black (with the head weaving back and forth). It's just funny to me, hope no one gets mad. :o

Chung *j*

I thought Eminem was pretty cool. Guess he's an exception.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great comparison with the exact conclusion. A silly lot they are and the only one that thinks it is cultural cute.

Village idot syndrome, the want to be something they are not crowd.

Howdy,

I been following the topic a few days, and had a thought about it. Looking at it from the Thais point of view, I too laugh at white guys acting black or hispanic. Ever see a white man walking like a black man or talking like a Mexican? Just to be cool?

I see nothing funny about the way a black man walks, or a mexican talks, unless a white man is doing it. Only thing funnier is a white woman acting black (with the head weaving back and forth). It's just funny to me, hope no one gets mad. :o

Chung *j*

Many people that are brown, black or yellow, round-eyed, or slant eyed are considered as British or American.

In Thailand you have to be ethnicly Thai (or Chinese to ever be considered Thai. That is my whole point.

and thats exactly why thailand does not have the racial problems that england and america have, as they have keep thailand for themselves and i salute them for there top work. :D

i mean, just have a think for a millisecond about the name opf the country. " THAILAND" = land of the thai or free thai. it dont mean" farangland" and i hope they always keep there policy off, thailand for thai people.

thank you very much.

and just to keep on topic, this cat can go native but can never become thai, thats ok with me and ill play by there rules as its there country and not mine. :o

What a silly answer. It just shows that you don't really know much about Thailand. Discrimination against Thai Muslims in the South. The looking down upon dark skin Thais in general and Isaan people in particular.

You seem to think Thailand and Thais are perfect and anyone that thinks otherwise should go home.

Privilige to live here? Both Thailand and I get something out of the relationship. I enjoy living here, they get my money. A fair trade.

I see nothing funny about the way a black man walks,

Not even if he's wearing his jeans under rather than above his buttocks or he's got 1 leg rolled up above his knee and the other down around his ankle where it should be, and how about the fake limp in 1 leg walk or the walking while cupping ones genitalia ?

I find these ridiculous whoever is doing them be they black, white, brown or yellow and will happily laugh at those doing it.

Discrimination against Thai Muslims in the South.

That's a crock of shit (I went to school in Pattani for three years.) And you don't have to look like Thai or Chinese Thai to be considered Thai (that's another crock of shit.) There are a lot of Thai people who are descendants of Indians and Western people. (Keep your eyes open. They do exist.) They are all Thai in the eyes of Thai Thais and Thai Chinese. Why? Because they speak perfect Thai, know and respect Thai culture and act and behave like all other Thais.

Edited by ThaiGoon

That's a crock of shit (I went to school in Pattani for three years.) And you don't have to look like Thai or Chinese Thai to be considered Thai (that's another crock of shit.) There are a lot of Thai people who are descendants of Indians and Western people. (Keep your eyes open. They exist.) They are all Thai in the eyes of Thai Thais and Thai Chinese? Why? Because they speak perfect Thai, know and respect Thai culture and act like all other Thais.

TG, I think that is true.

However, don't you agree a farang who comes over as an adult has a greater chance of fitting through the eye of a needle than of ever being perceived as a Thai by Thai people?

and thats exactly why thailand does not have the racial problems that england and america have, as they have keep thailand for themselves and i salute them for there top work. biggrin.gif

i mean, just have a think for a millisecond about the name opf the country. " THAILAND" = land of the thai or free thai. it dont mean" farangland" and i hope they always keep there policy off, thailand for thai people.

Land of the Chinese would be more appropriate. :o

Lots of racial problems here Terry have you never noticed them? Look how the Burmese are often treated, and there's not much protection against it from any kind of authority either.

To Sir Burr, don't you think West Indians, Pakistanis and Indians are accepted as British because they have British passports, citizenships, same rights etc.? The Brit government says they are British so it becomes accepted by the citizens.

That's a crock of shit (I went to school in Pattani for three years.) And you don't have to look like Thai or Chinese Thai to be considered Thai (that's another crock of shit.) There are a lot of Thai people who are descendants of Indians and Western people. (Keep your eyes open. They do exist.) They are all Thai in the eyes of Thai Thais and Thai Chinese. Why? Because they speak perfect Thai, know and respect Thai culture and act and behave like all other Thais.

Oh, of course. Thais don't look down on Thais of indian descent do they?

I just asked my GF (Thai) if Thais consider Indians born and raised in Thailand to be Thai and she replied "Kaek"

I know that my family, my firends and I don't. But I guess, judging from what you've said, your Thai family (if you have one) does?

It doesn't matter how well you speak, read and write Thai. It doesn't matter how well you understand the culture. The Thais will never accept you as a Thai. They are, on the whole a pretty xenophobic race.

This is not the case say in the UK. An Indian, or a West Indian will be regarded as British if he integrates, not so in Thailand.

There are exceptions Sir Burr(clever name BTW).

What about Jonas, Biggs? I'd say they, especially Jonas have been totally acepted as being Thai.

Possibly two. Bet they are still regarded as farung. Bet if you ask a Thai if they are Thai the answer would be no.

Actually, I've asked many Thais and most say Jonas is Thai.

I know that my family, my firends and I don't. But I guess, judging from what you've said, your Thai family (if you have one) does?

Guess you are the exception that proves the rule. Most Thais I've met (a considerable number over 25 years) don't like Indians, be they Thai or from any other country.

Strange considering Buddha was an Indian and many, many things culturally Thai originated from India.

Edited by Sir Burr

I just asked my GF (Thai) if Thais consider Indians born and raised in Thailand to be Thai and she replied "Kaek"

May I ask what your Thai GF does or did for a living? That might affect how she views people... My family does business with Thai Indians on a regular basis and we never feel that they are foreigners. Actually, one of my childhood friends was Thai Indian. (His parents came over from India.) My family and I never felt that they were aliens to us. So what did (or does) your Thai GF do for a living?

Edited by ThaiGoon

That word, 'kaek' has now a negative sound, like 'jaek' for Chinese. It's just a matter of 10 years before 'farang' becomes the same.

Most bangkok Thais look down on Indians, as peatnut sellers or roti makers and money lenders. they don't like them and think they smell. I always bring up the nationality of Lord Buddha when they say this.

May I ask what your Thai GF does or did for a living? That might affect how she views people... My family does business with Thai Indians on a regular basis and we never feel that they are foreigners. Actually, one of my childhood friends was Thai Indian. (His parents came over from India.) My family and I never felt that they were aliens to us. So what did (or does) your Thai GF do for a living?

She is a senior nurse in an ICU ward of a major hospital. University educated and received her degree handed to her personally from His Majesty the King.

Many people that are brown, black or yellow, round-eyed, or slant eyed are considered as British or American.

In Thailand you have to be ethnicly Thai (or Chinese to ever be considered Thai. That is my whole point.

and thats exactly why thailand does not have the racial problems that england and america have, as they have keep thailand for themselves and i salute them for there top work. :D

thank you very much.

and just to keep on topic, this cat can go native but can never become thai, thats ok with me and ill play by there rules as its there country and not mine. :D

What a silly answer. It just shows that you don't really know much about Thailand. Discrimination against Thai Muslims in the South. The looking down upon dark skin Thais in general and Isaan people in particular.

You seem to think Thailand and Thais are perfect and anyone that thinks otherwise should go home.

Privilige to live here? Both Thailand and I get something out of the relationship. I enjoy living here, they get my money. A fair trade.

excuse me mr lancelot, but its not a good idea to start spitting out retoric about the problems in the southern state because me and you being farang will never understand the big picture, so lets give that a miss shall we. :D

as far as discrimination of dark skinned people go, i know all about that, as im an australian and we got our own problems.

i dont think thailand and thais are perfect but i will always say that this is there country, we come second and they make the rules. if we dont like the rules we can always bolt back to farang land .

some people dont like that answer, but its the ultimate solution to the whinning crying farang that write bollicks on this forum.

i see your still here, so it aint that bad is it. :o

and just to keep on topic, i think you should give it a crack at going native, you could possibly enjoy yourself a bit more and not sweat the little stuff. :bah::D

im just making a point mate, as the los is a bottler of a place and thats why me and you are here?

anyway, ill just keep on being a positive punter knowing my place in this country and live happily ever after and if i ever get bent and twisted ill just pack it in and head back to the mighty australia.

thank you very much.

When I look at life in LOS, I always get the impression that the vast majority of Thais, regardless of their ethnic roots, are too busy getting on with life to be discriminatory.

Their social cohesion is a far better model than what we farangs enjoyed in our homelands.

I think the reason for this is that we had the time to consider the question of race in depth.

We view race as much more important.

The average Thai has neither time nor interest for the subject.

Consider this thread; very few Thais would be interested in sitting at a computer to argue the pros and cons of it.

Rightly so.

Maybe mai pen rai has it good points.

and thats exactly why thailand does not have the racial problems that england and america have, as they have keep thailand for themselves and i salute them for there top work. biggrin.gif

Land of the Chinese would be more appropriate. :D

Lots of racial problems here Terry have you never noticed them? Look how the Burmese are often treated, and there's not much protection against it from any kind of authority either.

To Sir Burr, don't you think West Indians, Pakistanis and Indians are accepted as British because they have British passports, citizenships, same rights etc.? The Brit government says they are British so it becomes accepted by the citizens.

thats fare enough maddy,

but aint the racial problems in england worse than what they are here.?

i mean, they might have passports to say they are english but are they really excepted.?

i must say they are not by all the posts i have read on this forum.

but i must say us aussies have our problems as well, so im not slagging you off me old mucker. :D:o

and thank you very much maddy.

When I look at life in LOS, I always get the impression that the vast majority of Thais, regardless of their ethnic roots, are too busy getting on with life to be discriminatory.

Their social cohesion is a far better model than what we farangs enjoyed in our homelands.

I think the reason for this is that we had the time to consider the question of race in depth.

Consider this thread; very few Thais would be interested in sitting at a computer to argue the pros and cons of it.

Rightly so.

got a very good point there mate, and im only doing it because its pissing down cats and dogs on koh tao and this internet cafe is very cosy at the moment . :o:D

but i must say its not a bad subject to get into and im still sticking up for that cat going native. :D

thank you very much.

anyway, ill just keep on being a positive punter knowing my place in this country and live happily ever after and if i ever get bent and twisted ill just pack it in and head back to the mighty australia.

Terence it's not a case of being bitter and twisted, you don't seem to understand that there's a big difference from the way you are connected to Thailand and the way other people are connected to Thailand. Many of the people on this board have children and families here, so it's fair enough to ask why they can't be more integrated into society here. You come here as it's a holiday destination so of course intergration doesn't matter as much to you and why should it, Australia is your home. You'll understand the whinges of the expat if you ever decide to live here yourself.

there are many Indians and West Indians that ARE British. British accent, British sense of humour, like fish n chips.

Look at the presenters on the BBC. They maybe of Pakistani descent, but, they are 100% British in my eyes, not because of the passport they hold. Integration is the key.

Even if you integrate here in Thailand, you will never be perceived as Thai. That's the difference.

Terence it's not a case of being bitter and twisted, you don't seem to understand that there's a big difference from the way you are connected to Thailand and the way other people are connected to Thailand. Many of the people on this board have children and families here, so it's fair enough to ask why they can't be more integrated into society here. You come here as it's a holiday destination so of course intergration doesn't matter as much to you and why should it, Australia is your home. You'll understand the whinges of the expat if you ever decide to live here yourself.

maddy,

im coming mate, but ive still got three years before i move full time and i do take your point as i might think the place is a bog hole once i live here permanent.

but i dont think so, as ive been doing a very long apprenticeship with this country. :o

just a point regarding the punters with wives and families. some of my friends are like this and they are on a marrage visa, so what is the problem.? others on retirement visa's and others on working permits, so i dont get it when people complain about the visa's situation.

as far as wanting to be more integrated, what do these guys want?

im a bit lost on those points. maybe you can spell it out for me and ill check back in tomorrow when im in bangkok as its stopped raining and i got a boat to catch.

thanks maddy.

Rightly so.

got a very good point there mate, and im only doing it because its pissing down cats and dogs on koh tao and this internet cafe is very cosy at the moment . :o:D

but i must say its not a bad subject to get into and im still sticking up for that cat going native. :D

thank you very much.

These troppo types come and go, terry and from my experience the great majority don't cause problems for anyone.

Maybe they finally had to get a life and that's what suits them best.

It's a case of live and let live, innit?

there are many Indians and West Indians that ARE British. British accent, British sense of humour, like fish n chips.

Look at the presenters on the BBC. They maybe of Pakistani descent, but, they are 100% British in my eyes, not because of the passport they hold. Integration is the key.

Even if you integrate here in Thailand, you will never be perceived as Thai. That's the difference.

These are second/third generation Indians though aren't they, born into the UK. The way that Indians/West Indians moved into the UK and the way farangs moved into Thailand is very different. Few differences I can see that might have an affect are:

1. Indians initially moved to the UK as predominatly a workforce.

2. They are allowed citizenship easily.

3. They brought their whole familes and the older generations of Indians certainly kept their culture, it was there kids that have the fish and chips sense of humour.

4. Government helped to intergrate ethnic groups in UK society.

Now look at us the round eyes..

1. Started coming here 40 years ago and started shagging prostitutes.

2. Mainly single men who get Thai wives so very little fully farang kids being born in Thailand. There's not many second / third generation white kids in Thailand there?

3. Government hinders the intergration of ethnic groups in this country.

Will we ever be intergrated into Thailand as the Indians intergrated into the UK, I would doubt it, but it's not purely xenophobia in my eyes.

Still raining Terence, thought you was back to the mighty bangers today?

just a point regarding the punters with wives and families. some of my friends are like this and they are on a marrage visa, so what is the problem.? others on retirement visa's and others on working permits, so i dont get it when people complain about the visa's situation.

Visas can all be revoked Terry. Citizenship grants to many more rights and those with families here need those rights. It's about stability I suppose. If you have no wife or kid that's fine to be a bit unstable, easy to pack and leave if you have to, but when you have a family here and still have to apply for the correct visa to stay with that family, knowing full well it could be turned down, well that's a different story.

Right now the visa situation is OK, but it's the future you have to think of. 20 years down the line (5 years down the line even!), maybe after another coup or two and suddenly the government turns round in this country and makes some real harsh visa changes, that's when your friend with wives and kids may have wished they had attained citizenship rather than just living year by year of visas they are given.

These are second/third generation Indians though aren't they, born into the UK. The way that Indians/West Indians moved into the UK and the way farangs moved into Thailand is very different. Few differences I can see that might have an affect are:

1. Indians initially moved to the UK as predominatly a workforce.

2. They are allowed citizenship easily.

3. They brought their whole familes and the older generations of Indians certainly kept their culture, it was there kids that have the fish and chips sense of humour.

4. Government helped to intergrate ethnic groups in UK society.

Now look at us the round eyes..

1. Started coming here 40 years ago and started shagging prostitutes.

2. Mainly single men who get Thai wives so very little fully farang kids being born in Thailand. There's not many second / third generation white kids in Thailand there?

3. Government hinders the intergration of ethnic groups in this country.

Will we ever be intergrated into Thailand as the Indians intergrated into the UK, I would doubt it, but it's not purely xenophobia in my eyes.

Yes, very true. At least in the UK, immigrants know that there kids are encouraged and given the chance to integrate, not like in Thailand.

Good point about the visas, but, property ownership is also an issue.

Terry57 doesn't even live in Thailand? Sheesh!