Help needed to chang the address in my car and scooter registration books after moving to a different province.

Hi

I bought a car and also a scooter when myself and my Thai girlfriend were living in rented accommodation in Khon Kaen so both vehicles have Khon Kaen number plates.

We relocated to Hua Hin just over 1 year ago. The addresses in both registration books are just rented appartments in Khon Kaen and so totally wrong.

A couple of weeks ago I felt that I wanted to change the ownership of both vehicles into my girlfriends name.

We went to the Transport office in Pran Buri which is about 24km away, so not far from Hua Hin.  They said that they cannot change ownership because the number plates are Khon Kaen and that we would need to go to the Transport Office in Prachuap Khiri Khan (PKK) town to have the number plates changes to Prachuap plates first.  PKK is about 100km away.

OK so now I know that Prachuap Transport offices can only change ownership of vehicles with Prachuap plates.

I have now decided not to change ownership but I do want to change my address which is in the registration books.

At the moment the Transport offices are not answering their phones.  Can anyone please help.

Can I change my address that is in my car and scooter at the Transport Office in Pran Buri while still keeping Khon Kaen number plates?

I am getting the feeling to update anything in the car or scooter registration books whilst in Hua Hin I will need to make two trips to PKK to have the number plates changed.

If I go to PKK to have the number plates changed + change of address what documents do I need to take other than the registration books?

Cert of Residence?

Photocopies of the registration books?

Thanks

Keith

There is no need to change the address.

If you do it you will get new plates.

To change the address you definitely need the green book, a certificate of residence, and your passport.

I'm not certain if you also have to bring the bike, I've never changed just the address. If you want to change the owner as well the bike itself is definitely required.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Love It 1

18 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

To change the address you definitely need the green book, a certificate of residence, and your passport.

I'm not certain if you also have to bring the bike, I've never changed just the address. If you want to change the owner as well the bike itself is definitely required.

Thank you @FriendlyFarang very precise good information. In the past I also concluded that I will not change the address in the registration books. I think the only small problem is that if you get an automatic speeding fine it will go to the wrong address, then when renew the tax you will pay more. That's the way it should work but knowing Thailand it doesn't and it may be an advantage in not paying any fine.   
I will very soon be moving to a rented house that I think I might stay at for a long time so thought it would be nice to have that address in the books.
I will try to phone again today as going to PKK by car would be OK but not by our small Honda Scoopy. 
I am starting to feel that doing nothing might be best. 

Since 2012 I own a bike I bought in Chiang Mai when I lived there, moved the bike and myself 2 times, never changed the book nor plates

Only 1st time when I paid the taxes/compulsory insurance they asked me in the new home town and at that time they made it clear to

me that it was not necessary to change

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Keith5588 said:

Thank you @FriendlyFarang very precise good information. In the past I also concluded that I will not change the address in the registration books. I think the only small problem is that if you get an automatic speeding fine it will go to the wrong address, then when renew the tax you will pay more. That's the way it should work but knowing Thailand it doesn't and it may be an advantage in not paying any fine.   
I will very soon be moving to a rented house that I think I might stay at for a long time so thought it would be nice to have that address in the books.
I will try to phone again today as going to PKK by car would be OK but not by our small Honda Scoopy. 
I am starting to feel that doing nothing might be best. 

Where you live the nearest DLT office will help you with what you want to do. 

8 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

my wife changed address in Pattaya office to a Rayong address for a car registered in chon buri, another car registered in Bangkok has a Rayong address in the book, so can be done but needs to be done in the dlt where the vehicle is registered, 

Edited by steve187
  • Thumbs Up 2