Order Allowing Ict Ministry To Block Web Sites Revoked

george

Order allowing ICT Ministry to block web revoked

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet agreed to revoke the military junta's order that allowed the Information and Communications Technology Ministry to block websites that deemed harmful to the military council during a meeting on Tuesday.

ICT Minister Sitthichai Pookaiyaudom proposed the issue at the weekly cabinet meeting and none of the ministers objected his proposal. Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont reportedly nodded, expressing his agreement on the matter.

From now on, only the court can decide whether to block a website to encourage more democracy in the country.

The Freedom Against Censorship Thailand, the Bangkok-based anti-censorship group, released a report last month, claiming that the ICT Ministry has blocked more than 11,300 websites in Thailand last month.

Council for Democratic Reform, or the military junta, imposed the announcement no. 5, giving the power to the ICT Ministry to block websites harmful to the council after the September 19 coup.

-- Bangkok Post 2007-07-03

Protests in Thailand Increase over Proposed 'Media Censorship Laws'

By Sai Silp

July 3, 2007

Thai media scholars and free speech activists urged the Thailand interim government to defeat new media law proposals that they say will restrict free speech and the public's right to know.

Suthep Wilailert, a coordinator of the group, said o­n Tuesday the restrictive proposals should be dealt with by the next elected government after the public has had time to evaluate and discuss the effects of the legislative drafts.

irrawaddy.org

opps ...........

Edited by Mid

Question to Minister S. : "What makes a balloon go up?"

S.: "Hot air".

Q: "What keeps you down?"

As long as all these web-sites are still blocked, this seems nothing more than a publicity gag.

while there unblocking those sites why not unblock you tube and the like :o

Cabinet revokes military ban on websites

Tuesday 3 July 2007 08:13:28 PM (GMT+7:00)

BANGKOK, July 3 (TNA) - The Thai cabinet has lifted the September coup-makers' decree barring website messages which they believe might jeopardise national security, social values and public order under censorship, because a similar law is currently effective under care of the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology.

MCOT Public Company Limited

Thailand eases web restrictions

Thailand has eased restrictions on controversial web sites, but has not yet lifted a ban on the popular video sharing site, YouTube.

Our South East Asia correspondent, Karen Percy, reports web users in Thailand have been barred from the site for the past three months because of a controversial video posted of revered King Bhumipol.

The minister for communications ordered the shutdown under powers granted by the military junta when it seized power in September.

It targeted sites thought to be against the constitutional monarchy.

The government admits that it has also banned two other major political sites in recent months, though critics say more than 10,000 have been affected.

Now the Thai cabinet has agreed that websites can only be closed by a court order.

Source: Radio Australia News - 04 July 2007

• 2 weeks later...
Not today in Bangkok using True

Oh :D .... Its (youtube) on-line and accessible on my TOT connection. I never heard any announcement, but spotted an embedded vid on another website this morning that was actually playing, as opposed to a dreaded blank / MICT gargoyle in the frame. Clicked on the youtube bookmark, and its online and running as before. Maybe contact your ISP..? Anyone heard anything about the revoked ban? :o

It's (youtube) still blocked on my TOT line, TT&T ISP.

And down again on mine today also... :o <deleted>??? It was displaying perfectly yesterday, I swear.... I'm confused...I'm going for a lie down... :D

• 1 month later...
Today, 30.8. Seems that YOUTUBE is open again...it is working fast and normal...anybody knows if this is just a mistake by a censor pressing the wrong button or if they really took back the nonsense blockage of youtube???

The ministry has finally unblocked youtube. There are current threads about this. :o

Lets be fair. Thailand, or better this government - has made itself totally ridiculous with these measures world wide! The whole world knows now that this is a dictatorial ruled country, dressed up as a democracy, including stupid censor laws that go with that type of regimes. Time to go back to normal if it is not too late yet :o

Lets be fair. Thailand, or better this government - has made itself totally ridiculous with these measures world wide! The whole world knows now that this is a dictatorial ruled country, dressed up as a democracy, including stupid censor laws that go with that type of regimes. Time to go back to normal if it is not too late yet :o

I guess Germany is the next to look "totally ridiculous with these measures world wide" and that Germany can now be considered "a dictatorial ruled country, dressed up as a democracy, including stupid censor laws that go with that type of regimes." All of which is in one of the OTHER dozen youtube threads. I believe it's in one of the recently-closed ones.

Edited by sriracha john

I guess Germany is the next to look "totally ridiculous with these measures world wide" and that Germany can now be considered "a dictatorial ruled country, dressed up as a democracy, including stupid censor laws that go with that type of regimes." All of which is in one of the OTHER dozen youtube threads. I believe it's in one of the recently-closed ones.

One does have to say that the various anti-Nazi and Holocaust denial laws have been the subject to spirited debate within Germany, Austria, and France {amongst other places} over the last few years over the very issue of free speech v the risks of incitement and causation of offence.

I've come across very similar statements to the above on the web about the German government reaction to neo-Nazi items on YouTube. So, if your position is that Thailand is being uniquely treated the answer, as far as I can see, is no.

Regards

/edit {In case readers are not familiar with this no suggestion has been made to ban or censor YouTube, the suggestion has been made for individuals to try legal action under sedition laws. In an associated action GoogleVideo [Germany] has removed items, since they are {or at least present themselves, I don't know where their servers are} as a German operation under local legislation.

PPS Link to article about the restitution and action by YouTube to reduce the likelihood of Thai surfers coming across such content. There's also a section about the original video poster, which is interesting//

Edited by A_Traveller