Rabbit Line Pay and Bangkok Bank

Has anyone managed to get Rabbit Line Pay linked with Bangkok Bank mobile banking?

I made it through ID verification in Line but Bangkok Bank mobile banking tells me it can’t link to Line because my Line is a foreigner account.

Is this really not possible for foreigners or did I miss a step somewhere?

I’m trying to figure out what lack of bank account linking means in practical terms. Without this feature, what functionality am I missing?

What I’d really like is for Line Pay to directly debit my bank account, in other words skip the need to keep a balance in Rabbit Line Pay. Is that possible, if I manage to get a bank account linked?

If I understand correctly that’s possible with a credit card? So I suppose it would make some sense if it were available with a bank account too. 

I did find something in the help FAQ suggesting that foreigners can link a Bangkok Bank account but it has to be done at an ATM. I’ll try it later today. 

2DDDA6FB-DC06-4A86-92A1-F3E2D1B933CC.jpeg

Edited by tai4de2
Add screenshot

2 hours ago, tai4de2 said:

I’m trying to figure out what lack of bank account linking means in practical terms. Without this feature, what functionality am I missing?

When you link a bank account, you can transfer your LINE Wallet balance to your bank account.

I bought a Rabbit card long ago, linked it to my LINE Wallet, and then added my bank account (Krungthai) to LINE Wallet, after which I could withdrew everything from my Rabbit card, so that it has a balance of zero (and no worries about my money expiring).

2 hours ago, tai4de2 said:

If I understand correctly that’s possible with a credit card? […]

I have also linked my bank ATM card (VISA Debit) to my LINE Wallet / Rabbit LINE Pay account, and when I use the BTS, money is withdrawn from my bank account via the VISA card.

But this is set up in the BTS section of the LINE Wallet app, so presumably this is only when I use the Rabbit card (or maybe only when I use the BTS?)

I must confess, I find this all a bit confusing because of all the different terms, i.e. LINE Pay, Rabbit card, LINE Wallet, BTS section of LINE Wallet, Rabbit LINE Pay, and my Rabbit card being linked to my LINE Wallet, so is my Rabbit card effectively a physical card backed by LINE Wallet? But since VISA card is only added under BTS, is VISA card backing LINE Wallet? Or is it backing the Rabbit card? Or only train journeys?

Though I only use this for BTS when I am in Bangkok.

Edited by lkn

It looks to me like every sub-app within the Line system that can take money from you — such as BTS — has its own associated “payment method”. The payment methods are set up in Line itself and then the sub-apps let you chose among the user-added payment methods. 

Payment methods are (1) the Rabbit Line Pay balance, (2) credit cards, and (3) — I *think* — a bank account. I believe that last part is what the “account linking” thing is about. 

And then as you stated there seems to be a way of moving money in the other direction. Maybe that’s only possible with the “linked bank account” payment method. 

I got Rabbit Line Pay customer service to send me a PDF of the ATM flow to do the linking for Bangkok Bank accounts. It’s buried deep inside menus I would never have guessed. Will try later today. 

Edited by tai4de2

So, I did manage to get my Bangkok Bank account linked. But I’m wrong about the bank linking providing a third payment method. @lkn was right.

According to customer service the only things enabled by bank account linking are withdrawals (sending money from Line Pay to the bank — already pointed out by @lkn) and adding money from the bank to Line Pay. The latter is possible even without linking.

And CS recommends just adding my debit card as a credit card to get direct debit functionality. Also as @lkn said.