Pools in high rise condos

I live in one of those high-rise condominiums. We have a nice pool and I guess I would not have moved into it if it wouldn't have a pool. But I use it very seldom. And in general, it is used very seldom. The pool is fine, it just seems normal thet few people use it.

And from my apartment I can see other pools from other buildings nearby. In the hotels pools are sometimes busy. In the condominiums they seem to be almost always (almost) empty. Why? I don't know.

Friend visiting me stayed in Edge/Pattaxa/2nd road. 

The infinity pool is used as instagram/thayfriendly background by tourists/hookers. 

The pool is too small for the number of condos. 

It is just for show. 

The 2nd pool/whirlpool was out of order. 

IMG_20230219_110132.jpg

IMG_20230219_110217.jpg

Edited by CH1961
added picture
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

Mostly for marketing purposes. Potential buyers won't buy a condo in a building without a pool. Not luxurious enough. They imagine themselves going out there and paddling a bit and having a cool drink. Once they buy, they almost never, if at all, go out to the pool, but part of their common fee goes to maintain it anyway.

Well I need a good pool, swim an hour a day as the sea water is dirty and so is the sand. Shame that they don’t usually have sun shades, I usually find a shady spot near the entrance.  You have to hope that the water is treated properly though. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, geisha said:

Well I need a good pool, swim an hour a day as the sea water is dirty and so is the sand. Shame that they don’t usually have sun shades, I usually find a shady spot near the entrance.  You have to hope that the water is treated properly though. 

Or you could buy a test kit, then you'll know.

On 3/6/2023 at 6:42 AM, geisha said:

You have to hope that the water is treated properly though. 

In Bangkok condo I stayed before they controlled the water quality and put the info on a board. Despite 2 towers only few people, mostly travellers, used the pool. And it seemed I used the condo sauna alone 99% of my usage ))

The swimming pool was rather big 50m long though I could make it in one dive ))

IMG_20161120_100048.jpg

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2023 at 4:05 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I live in one of those high-rise condominiums. We have a nice pool and I guess I would not have moved into it if it wouldn't have a pool. But I use it very seldom. And in general, it is used very seldom. The pool is fine, it just seems normal thet few people use it.

And from my apartment I can see other pools from other buildings nearby. In the hotels pools are sometimes busy. In the condominiums they seem to be almost always (almost) empty. Why? I don't know.

The strange thing, many of those who have villa with pool, almost not using them either. Thats why I did not build one myself. Better to go away for the weekend to a hotel with pool instead of put money and time in to something that will not be used to much. 

But when I lived in the condo with a larger pool, I did swim one hour every day. It all comes down to the size of the pool. 

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

The strange thing, many of those who have villa with pool, almost not using them either. Thats why I did not build one myself. Better to go away for the weekend to a hotel with pool instead of put money and time in to something that will not be used to much. 

But when I lived in the condo with a larger pool, I did swim one hour every day. It all comes down to the size of the pool. 

I think a pool is for many of us connected with summer and the happy times when he had summer holiday when we were young. So the idea to live somewhere with a pool with bathtub warm water is probably something many of us have as a dream somewhere in the back of our heads.

vastu-for-home-interiors-tips-for-buying

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2023 at 11:42 AM, geisha said:

Do you talk about a pool in Bangkog or Pattaya?

My only fear with respect to a pool inside a High Rise condo -is the possibility with building sway then the pool can leak.

I know of only one building where that  applies. The solution in that particular building was to empty the pool.

Q Are my fears unfounded?

On 3/8/2023 at 2:09 PM, In the jungle said:

You need 25 metre length at a minimum for a swimming pool.

Otherwise it is just for playing and photos.

I once asked a few builders about a pool of 20m+ even if it was perhaps with only one lane out to 25m and the rest a freeform 15m or so and they thought I was insane.

It really was think of a number, triple it, then multiply by another random number and then hope the stupid westerner will fall for the scam and pay it. Figures of 4/6/8m baht to build it. I worked out it would be cheaper to buy an excavator and dig the hole myself than pay them the extortionate fee for installing a hole !

I looked at a house with a 14m x 10m pool which is oversize compared to the average but in the end, it simply wasn't long enough and it meant I couldn't buy the house.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2023 at 10:05 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Perhaps everyone at your condo went to the hotel to swim.

When I first came to live in Bangkok many years ago now I lived in Suk soi 2 nice big apartment with a good sized pool I hardly ever saw anybody swim I did use it everyday especially at night, On a Sunday a Japanese girl used to come and put an alarm clock on the sunbed and walk up and down the pool reading a book, 

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Will that test for anything that these guys don't have a test for?

https://swimmingpoolsthailand.com/en/102-water-testing-and-analysis

They have a bunch of overpriced Hanna meters of questionable accuracy.

Along with regular OTO drop tests that are hard to read and become inaccurate with elevated Chlorine levels.

They don't have anything to test CYA and Alkalinity in salt water.

Edited by unheard
  • Haha 1

On 4/12/2023 at 10:57 PM, SGD said:

I once asked a few builders about a pool of 20m+ even if it was perhaps with only one lane out to 25m and the rest a freeform 15m or so and they thought I was insane.

It really was think of a number, triple it, then multiply by another random number and then hope the stupid westerner will fall for the scam and pay it. Figures of 4/6/8m baht to build it. I worked out it would be cheaper to buy an excavator and dig the hole myself than pay them the extortionate fee for installing a hole !

I looked at a house with a 14m x 10m pool which is oversize compared to the average but in the end, it simply wasn't long enough and it meant I couldn't buy the house.

Bit more to it than digging a hole, old bean, unless of course their price omitted the blockwork, render, tanking & tiling and groundworks, the pipework, filtration & pump and the power supply & lightning etc etc etc.

If a pool isn't long enough, bung a Fastlane or equivalent on it. 12-14m is ample for a private pool. Upsize too much and you have to start amping up the filtration with associated running costs to achieve the right hydraulic flow and maintain chemistry.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A problem with pools on high condo roofs is they can get really cold especially evening/night times.

I used to swim ,after work , in the high-rise condo we lived in at the time. I was doing 50 plus lengths but still used to emerge shivering.

we now live in a low rise and the pool is garden level ,embedded in the ground , ie it’s not a suspended box of water with circulating air around its base and sides. it stays pleasantly warm even in the evenings.

Edited by wordchild