Travel Insurance – travel from Thailand within Asia

Bubbha

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

Because they did what they said on the tin - and at a reasonable price.

I wanted travel cover, I got it

I am quite happy never to have had to make a claim.

How do you know it 'does what it says on the tin', which could include full hospital treatment for a car accident if you've never tried it. 

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

I read the small print.

OK, that's it from me.

You still not know whether they are a good company who will pay out with no problems until you have to do it, no matter what it says in the small print.

The local operations of multinational insurers such as AXA, AIG, MSIG and the like can be expected to honor the terms and conditions of their policies. 

The main issue with policies from Thailand-based insurers is that they are not particularly broad in scope or provide high limits for coverages such as medical and are a bit expensive for what they do provide. 

It is important that a policyholder understands exactly what the policy does and does not cover and the obligations of the policyholder, especially in the event of a loss. Ask for a specimen policy (not just a schedule of benefits) and read it and ask questions if you don't understand something. 

It also helps to use a good insurance broker who can both help you understand your policy (and your obligations under it) and assist with claims.

3 hours ago, couchpotato said:

The poster is giving you information of what company he has used before. 

So be nice!

It was a reasonable question. Every insurance company is good - at taking your money. What really matters is whether they pay out their claims.

I used to always use AIG. I don't know if they're still around. But once I did need to make a claim, and they were quite fair and professional about it - paying what they had promised to pay upon my presentation of my doctor's bill from a clinic in Lusaka, Zambia.