Four family members dead as motorcycle with sidecar/Fortuner collide in Suphanburi

webfact

image.jpeg

Thai Rath reported on a horrific accident that shocked all who saw the aftermath.

They made much of the fact that one 50 year old victim was still clutching the dead body of her four year old granddaughter.

The accident happened near a U-turn in the Dan Chang police jurisdiction in Suphanburi, central Thailand yesterday evening.

A motorcycle with sidecar attachment pulled out from behind a truck into the path of a Toyota Fortuner whose 66 year old driver said he could not brake in time.

Four people were killed on the motorcycle: Piyawet, 65, Khaisaeng, 50, their four year old granddaughter and an 8 month old male infant.

Phinit, 66, the Fortuner driver had stopped 500 meters away and gave evidence that he could not see the bike as it pulled out into his path as it tried to make a cross for a U-turn.

Dan Chang police are investigating.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-03-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, webfact said:

the Fortuner driver had stopped 500 meters away

Jeez, that's one hell of a stopping distance!

Tragic outcome for all involved. Both types of vehicle can be a menace on Thai roads. Dangerous U-turns too, make it all a recipe for disaster. RIP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Jeez, that's one hell of a stopping distance!

Tragic outcome for all involved. Both types of vehicle can be a menace on Thai roads. Dangerous U-turns too, make it all a recipe for disaster. RIP.

Speculation of course, but I suspect he slowed down to stop further on. I don't think I'd stop straight behind something I'd just done like that (innocent or otherwise) until I knew how people were behaving. Better to approach slowly from afar ... people could get quite murderous about it.

This motorcycle carnage is heartbreaking ... Sounds like Granny, parent(s) and grandkid wiped out. So many of these deadly crashes happen in connection with U-turns. They really should be closed outside city limits.

5 hours ago, Tarteso said:
11 hours ago, webfact said:

Toyota Fortuner whose 66 year old driver said he could not brake in time.

Ah ! Then all is okay

This is exactly why I have a dash-cam...  there is going to be a time in Thailand when something pulls out in front of me and stopping in time or taking avoiding action is impossible.

This is a risk to any single one of us, and not having a dash-cam in our vehicles places us at risk of difficulties in the event of a serious accident in which fault is difficult to establish. For this reason I also have a cam’s on the bike. 

• Thumbs Up 2