Thai Post Office? (tit!)?

sbaker8688

What the heck is up with the Thai post office?

Been living in Thailand for the last few years. I have a health problem (tonsils) which requires me to use a waterpick. I brought over a small portable one, but that one hit the skids, so I had a family member package up and send me my larger "nonportable" one from the US. The family member put all the proper names and addresses on it, plus telephone numbers (Thai telephone numbers to call). I had it sent to a Thai friend's address.

It never arrived at my Thai friend's house. My Thai friend called the post office, and went there several times. She believes that they have it, although they cannot tell her, she claims, until we give them some kind of "number" which I assume is some sort of tracking number, which I don't have.

I have asked her why the heck they don't do one of the following:

1) Call her since her phone number is on the package, 2) send it back to the US since the return address is on the package, or 3) send her a letter or something, since her address is on the package. She says "TIT" (this is Thailand)!

She suspects customs or someone may have the package and want some kind of import duty or whatever. Fine! Just act like "normal" people! Either call someone, send someone a notice, give us information, or send it back!

I'm not sure that I'm getting a complete story of what is going on here, because I have a language barrier between me and my friend. So... does anyone here know what the heck is going on? Anyone had any similar troubles? Anyone know what process the post office uses if they receive a package and want money?

Thanks.

She suspects customs or someone may have the package and want some kind of import duty or whatever. Fine! Just act like "normal" people! Either call someone, send someone a notice, give us information, or send it back!

You would have got notification of import duties.

I'm not sure that I'm getting a complete story of what is going on here, because I have a language barrier between me and my friend. So... does anyone here know what the heck is going on?

If you want to find out what's going on then you need to go to the post office and speak to the post office staff. If you aren't out in the boonies then someone in the office will speak English well enough to be able to help you. Have you not even visited the post office yet?

Why'll you're at it, contact the people who sent the package and get the tracking number and find out exactly how it was shipped, surface, airmail, regsitered, UPS etc.

Edited by bkkmadness

By sheer coincidence I was going to ship one of the portable ones over there today. The regular units run on 110v so I'm guessing need a voltage converter.

Anyway, if it never makes it to you, the Waterpick website lists 2 distributors for Thailand. One in Singapore, and the other in Bangkok:

Waterpik Distributor Search

At the bottom there's a country search. I emailed yesterday asking about price and availability, but haven't gotten a response yet. I believe this location is near Don Muang.

Conice Electronic Co., Ltd.

118/3 Vibhavadirangsit Road, Soi 2

Din Daeng

Bangkok, Thailand 10400

THAILAND

Phone: +66 02 2779997

Fax: +66 02 2757023

Email:[email protected]

<<You would have got notification of import duties.>>

We have received notification of nothing, so....

<<If you want to find out what's going on then you need to go to the post office and speak to the post office staff. If you aren't out in the boonies then someone in the office will speak English well enough to be able to help you. Have you not even visited the post office yet?>>

We went to the post office, as I believe my previous post said (perhaps not?). She was able to get little to no info from them from what I gathered, besides "we might have it" and "might be a problem with customs" and "no, we can't help you with jack crap unless you give us a number."

<<Why'll you're at it, contact the people who sent the package and get the tracking number and find out exactly how it was shipped, surface, airmail, regsitered, UPS etc.>>

It was shipped through the standard post office. Nothing fancy. There is no tracking number, to my knowledge.

What I want to know is, why do we have to go to the post office in the first place? If they have it, they need to send it to her house, send it back to the return address, or call someone on the phone numbers on the package. Is it not standard operating practice in Thailand that one of these things is done?

You either get your mail at your home, or you don't. I had something sent general delivery (post restante), and I had to almost literally lead them by the hand, down at the post office, to find my mail and give it to me. But I got it, a valuable credit card. Here in suburban Chiang Mai, I get all the mail I expect (well, another credit card is late in arrival now...). As stated, there is no standard operating procedure in Thailand, almost anywhere.

Bob Dylan once wrote, "the best thing I ever did for you, when I was working at the post office, was to take your picture down off the wall."

We went to the post office, as I believe my previous post said (perhaps not?). She was able to get little to no info from them from what I gathered, besides "we might have it" and "might be a problem with customs" and "no, we can't help you with jack crap unless you give us a number."

I read it as she went to the post office and you had trouble working out what was going on because of the language barrier between your friend and yourself. Which is why I suggest you find an English speaking member of staff and deal directly with that person yourself, it may clarify a few things. What part of Thailand are you in?

It was shipped through the standard post office. Nothing fancy. There is no tracking number, to my knowledge.

If it was sent without even using the basic registered post and with no tracking number then it's easily stolen. You've definitely confirmed there is no tracking number for the item? That'd be unusual because I assume it's a pricey package and registered post doesn't cost a great deal extra.

What I want to know is, why do we have to go to the post office in the first place? If they have it, they need to send it to her house, send it back to the return address, or call someone on the phone numbers on the package. Is it not standard operating practice in Thailand that one of these things is done?

That's how it's always worked out for me. Perhaps they don't even have it.