Marijuana and anaesthesia

A report in the Economist this week, quoting from a 2019 study, notes that patients who used marijuana on a daily or weekly basis needed up to three times the typical anaesthesia dose to stay under while in the operating room.The article is headed, "Waking up in the middle of a surgery is the stuff of nightmares." I have no idea of the credibility of this suggestion though The Economist has greater heft than most publications.For those interested  - eg smokers about to go under the surgeon's knife obviously more research would be advisable..

However as is so often the case, the comments beneath the article are equally as interesting.A common factor is the spluttering rage and indignation on the part of many when any suggestion is made that marijuana might not be perfectly safe.Most would accept that abuse of alcohol is more dangerous.But I can't help feeling that there are so many vested interests involved, certainly in Thailand, that getting a truthful response is unlikely.Can anyone point to a credible science based source of information on the medical risks of marijuana in general, which is not subject to unsound views from proselytes on either side?

The obvious answer to the anaesthesia point is that the patient should be upfront and transparent with his/her medical team.Tall them what your intake is and they can adjust the anaesthetics as necessary

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

Do you consume cannabis?

In my day. yes.Open to the idea of a modest re-entry.

Or are you proselytizing?

Do you know what the word proselyte means? Look it up and read my post again.It implied no position one way or the other.

I'd be more worried about confirming the proper location for the operation.

Still you have provided yet more supporting evidence that any enquiry on possible adverse effects sets many committed consumers into disapproval that even a question was raised.

OK, so you do not consume cannabis.

So why are you asking...

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

Can anyone point to a credible science based source of information on the medical risks of marijuana in general, which is not subject to unsound views from proselytes on either side?

If you do not consume cannabis?

There have been quite a few "dangers of cannabis" threads here.

18 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Still you have provided yet more supporting evidence that any enquiry on possible adverse effects sets many committed consumers into disapproval that even a question was raised.

How has my response in any way stifled your enquiry? I encourage to raise any/all questions you may have.

Me thinks you are a bit defensive.

• Haha 1

Fun fact for you, Ginger's (Red Heads for the 'woke' generation) also need approx 20% more anaesthetic. 

I am not ginger but have smoked weed and done just about every other substance known to get you high over the last 30+ years and I always need a lot more anaesthetic and pain relief than most people.

Edited by philthebook
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, philthebook said:

Fun fact for you, Ginger's (Red Heads for the 'woke' generation) also need approx 20% more anaesthetic. 

I am not ginger but have smoked weed and done just about every other substance known to get you high over the last 30+ years and I always need a lot more anaesthetic and pain relief than most people.

Isn't it just a mongrel with all that going on and the endorphin receptors are that full that you only get stoned from the first joint of the day...the rest being top ups...pmsl

Edited by wombat
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, philthebook said:

Nailed it, I'm exactly the same,

<deleted>, don't want an operation even more now...

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 6:17 PM, philthebook said:

I heard somewhere that gingers also have a higher pain threshold,   dunno if its true or not, 

• 4 weeks later...

Ive just had a medical assessment for a shoulder replacement op. When I mention all my medications including full spectrum Cannabis oil (including high THC) was simply told to stop taking the Cannabis oil around a week before the op

Edited by Gottsy