Any experience with Amlodipine blood pressure medication

steveb5

Taking blood pressure meds should be managed by a physician as sometimes you need more than one med to reach the desired levels. Some of these BP meds are not to be taken with other BP meds, so better to leave it to a physician to manage. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, steveb5 said:

Does anyone have any experience with Amlodipine blood pressure medication.

Amlodipine is not normally prescribed on it's own, usual prescription would be a beta blocker or ace inhibitor with amlodipine being added if necessary. There is no silver bullet as such.

I have been on BP medication for over 40 years, initially a beta blocker and then an ace inhibitor with amlodipine added some years later. The local ace inhibitor is enalapril and readily available at pharmacies, been taking that for over a decade without any problems.

However the best advice is to go and see a cardiologist, I see the one at Bang Saen which is a government hospital and only 100 baht for the consultation.

On the contrary, calcium channel blockers like amlodopine are  often given alone as first line treatment of essential  hypertension and beta blockers are no longer recommended for that purpose (though very useful in managing some heart conditions).

There are 3 classes of drug that may be used as first line treatment of essential hypertension:

ACE inhibitors (enalapril etc)

Angiotensin II receptor blockers (losartan etc)

Calcium channel blockers (amlodopine etc)

1 hour ago, steveb5 said:

Does anyone have any experience with Amlodipine blood pressure medication.

Amlodipine 2 tablets in the morning

+

losartan 2 tablets in the morning

+

hydroclorothiazide 2 tablets in the morning

If I don't take my blood pressure skyrockets. But I have to get up 3-5 times a night to pee... that is the only downside.