Wire a Socket without en earth - for a light…

STD Warehouse

I have a live and neutral coming out of the wall, which run back to a light switch. Originally I intended to install some wired-in uplight/downlight light fitting. But now I want to install an IKEA children’s wall light, but the wall light is not a wired-in version but has a plug on it.

IKEA upplyst light

The IKEA plug has only two pins, no earth, and seems to be a AC-DC transformer, and I can’t tell from the plug if its a 220-12v transformer as well. The IKEA website says:

“This lighting product has a low voltage and no sharp edges, small parts, hot surfaces, openings or hooks.”

I want to install this light into this wall power source so it can be controlled from the room light switches.

The cables come out of the wall around 2m above the floor.

Next to this wall cable outlet, could I just wire up a socket using the live and neutral wires and forget about the earth? Then just plug the light into that?

IMG_8073.jpg

IMG_8074.jpg

IMG_8075.jpg

IMG_8076.jpg

IMG_8077.jpg

IMG_8078.jpg

IMG_8079.jpg

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yup ^^^.

But try to find a 2-pin outlet that fits the plug. Just in case someone tries to plug in a Class-1 device.

What's the black gloop on that pin?

thanks, good advice about a 2 pin socket.

The "black gloop" is black electrical tape

• Like 1

Ikea should be able to sell you the replacement plug adapter that slides onto the transformer block since appears to be designed for sale in multiple countries. 
loose pin for the wall plug is not a good idea due to possible overheating over time, even if very low current. 

• Like 1