Fridge with 2 Pin Plug, is it double insulated?

anrcaccount

Hello all

Hitachi Fridge unsure of age ( maybe 10 years old if had to guess) , model R-T230W-2 . Has only a 2 pin connection. 

Is this fridge double insulated?

Here is the picture of the voltage sticker. I cannot tell if that symbol top right is meant to be the double insulated symbol.

Any thoughts appreciated?

IMG-5896.jpg

I had a Samsung fridge of about the same age before that came with a 2-pin plug and a separate earth lead that was supposed to be screwed to the chassis and connected to a grounding point.

So, my guess would be no, it's not double-insulated.

• Like 1

As said many Thai appliances (Hitachi is made in Thailand) come with only 2 pin plugs as most upcountry homes only have that type - current Sharp rice cookers are still 2 pin.  You are expected to wire a ground to such units.  Guess how many do?  One very good reason many homes do have RCBO protection.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Muzzique said:

No it's not.

If you have to ask this question then you should fit circuit breakers, 

Buddha is sitting up there ready to welcome you and Thai appliances are a great delivery method.

I think you mean RCBO not circuit breakers which almost every house has.

Circuit breakers WILL NOT stop Mr Buddha from calling for you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

Thanks all - not my place, but am in this condo for a few weeks.

Any ideas / hacks to make it safer? 

Check the main electric panel and see if there is an RCBO installed (push to test button is key - press and make sure power is cut to ref) or a Safe-t-Cut before the panel.  If not owner might fund upgrade.  But if you can not ground that ref make sure you walk in slippers or shoes and not touch barefoot.  The danger actually hot (more than a few volts) is small but it could be life or death touch in worst case.  No reason to make yourself more of a ground than necessary.  Now if you have wood or carpet floor that would also help a lot for leg ground.  What you never want to allow is one hand on ref and other on a good ground (electric through heart).

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Check the main electric panel and see if there is an RCBO installed (push to test button is key - press and make sure power is cut to ref) or a Safe-t-Cut before the panel.  If not owner might fund upgrade.  But if you can not ground that ref make sure you walk in slippers or shoes and not touch barefoot.  The danger actually hot (more than a few volts) is small but it could be life or death touch in worst case.  No reason to make yourself more of a ground than necessary.  Now if you have wood or carpet floor that would also help a lot for leg ground.  What you never want to allow is one hand on ref and other on a good ground (electric through heart).

Thanks, this is the main panel of the condo room

Thoughts?

IMG-5899.jpg

Nope ^^^. No earth leakage protection ???? 

I think that board has plug-in breakers so Square-D ones should fit. If nothing else protect your water heaters**

** They may already have RCBO/RCD/ELCB built-in, post photos, which would make them a lot safer.

You really do need to organise some kind of earth for your Class-1 (metal cased) appliances. 

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Nope ^^^. No earth leakage protection ???? 

I think that board has plug-in breakers so Square-D ones should fit. If nothing else protect your water heaters**

** They may already have RCBO/RCD/ELCB built-in, post photos, which would make them a lot safer.

You really do need to organise some kind of earth for your Class-1 (metal cased) appliances. 

One water heater only, pictured, has ELCB

Can the fridge power cord + plug simply be changed to a 3 pin? 

IMG-5901.jpg

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Yes it can - will have to add wire from metal frame to ground terminal of plug - can tape to two wire current cord (not have to remove parts/rewire compressor)  This assumes you actually have ground wire from outlets.

Yes, in the wall socket, test live to neutral, then live to earth, should read near the same...

On 3/17/2023 at 5:57 PM, lopburi3 said:

Yes it can - will have to add wire from metal frame to ground terminal of plug - can tape to two wire current cord (not have to remove parts/rewire compressor)  This assumes you actually have ground wire from outlets.

Thank you. 

This was done with a "pigtail" and additionally, they also installed an RCBO. I'll call that a win. 

• Like 1