St. Patrick's Day has been celebrated for centuries. But what are the holiday's origins, and who exactly was St. Patrick?

St. Patrick’s Day is a cultural and religious holiday held annually on March 17. Named after the patron saint of Ireland, Saint Patrick, the day celebrates Irish heritage with food, parades, drinks, Irish lore, and an assortment of green-colored things—green beer, anyone?

Today the holiday is celebrated around the world, with much of the modern traditions inspired by Irish expatriates in the United States.

39 minutes ago, proton said:

The way things are going it will be banned soon as not diverse or inclusive enough!

Why, isn't everyone from an inter-cultural relationship down the line somewhere.   Everybody I know is part Irish on St Paddy's Day.  

I always ask the gals to kiss the part on me that Irish.  The frisky Leprechaun, as they like to call it, as it does magical things ????

St. Patrick's Day has been celebrated for centuries. But what are the holiday's origins, and who exactly was St. Patrick?

The Christian that brought Christianity to Ireland.

I don't know enough about him to know why he was sainted, nor do I care, but I have visited the island where he lived near the village of Cong.

No idea why it's a holiday, but it's just an excuse for a booze up now.

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

He was a Welshman.

Are you sure of that?

Saint Patrick - Wikipedia 

State he could have been born in Scotland or England or Wales.

Patrick was born at the end of Roman rule in Britain. His birthplace is not known with any certainty; some traditions place it in what is now England—one identifying it as Glannoventa (modern Ravenglass in Cumbria). In 1981, Thomas argued at length for the areas of Birdoswald, twenty miles (32 km) east of Carlisle on Hadrian's Wall. Thomas 1981, pp. 310–14. In 1993, Paor glossed it as "[probably near] Carlisle". There is a Roman town known as Bannaventa in Northamptonshire, which is phonically similar to the Bannavem Taburniae mentioned in Patrick’s confession, but this is probably too far from the sea.[27] Claims have also been advanced for locations in present-day Scotland, with the Catholic Encyclopedia stating that Patrick was born in Kilpatrick, Scotland,[28] and in 1926 Eoin MacNeill also advanced a claim for South Wales.[

Claims have also been advanced for locations in present-day Scotland, with the Catholic Encyclopedia stating that Patrick was born in Kilpatrick, Scotland.

Edited by scottiejohn

On 3/19/2023 at 10:21 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

The Christian that brought Christianity to Ireland.

I don't know enough about him to know why he was sainted, nor do I care, but I have visited the island where he lived near the village of Cong.

No idea why it's a holiday, but it's just an excuse for a booze up now.

Its a Drinking holiday to forget the genocide St Patrick committed...yet many have no idea.

On 3/21/2023 at 7:28 AM, scottiejohn said:

Are you sure of that?

Saint Patrick - Wikipedia 

State he could have been born in Scotland or England or Wales.

Patrick was born at the end of Roman rule in Britain. His birthplace is not known with any certainty; some traditions place it in what is now England—one identifying it as Glannoventa (modern Ravenglass in Cumbria). In 1981, Thomas argued at length for the areas of Birdoswald, twenty miles (32 km) east of Carlisle on Hadrian's Wall. Thomas 1981, pp. 310–14. In 1993, Paor glossed it as "[probably near] Carlisle". There is a Roman town known as Bannaventa in Northamptonshire, which is phonically similar to the Bannavem Taburniae mentioned in Patrick’s confession, but this is probably too far from the sea.[27] Claims have also been advanced for locations in present-day Scotland, with the Catholic Encyclopedia stating that Patrick was born in Kilpatrick, Scotland,[28] and in 1926 Eoin MacNeill also advanced a claim for South Wales.[

Claims have also been advanced for locations in present-day Scotland, with the Catholic Encyclopedia stating that Patrick was born in Kilpatrick, Scotland.

yeah, lots of speculation in the Wikipedia article.

What we do know is that he was captured near his home by Irish raiders. We know that the Irish raiders raided the western shores of Britain, mostly Wales.

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

We know that the Irish raiders raided the western shores of Britain, mostly Wales.

We know that the Irish raiders raided the western shores of Britain, mostly Wales.

Unless you have proof to the contrary I would suggest that they did more raiding/cross country movement with Scotland as the NE of Ireland is much closer than Wales!  It should also be noted that he spent most of his time in Ireland in the Northern and western Ireland and was Bishop of Armagh.

There is of course no proof either way!