Where to get tested for ADHD Phuket

rellim

I would appreciate any pointers as to what facilities are available for testing adults and  possible treatments available for ADHD in the Phuket area. This for my Thai partner therefore a government facility would be preferred. 

11 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Not the same as bipolar...

But another seemingly new disorder, when I was at school in the 60's people only had hay fever, or possibly asthma. Then lots started to get dyslexia, attention deficit disorder, autism, ADHA and probably PTSD for being told off or missing the bus.???? Not to mention all these new food alleges where people drop dead at the sight of a nut. 

Edited by proton
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, proton said:

But another seemingly new disorder, when I was at school in the 60's people only had hay fever, or possibly asthma. Then lots started to get dyslexia, attention deficit disorder, autism, ADHA and probably PTSD for being told off or missing the bus.???? Not to mention all these new food alleges where people drop dead at the sight of a nut. 

Tourette's. Don't get me started on that.

1 minute ago, proton said:

Ah that's another one, when I worked in a college about 20% of any class had some sort of 'disability' ????

I was on a shuttle bus from Rome Airport into the City. A woman started hollowing and swearing in English to the embarrassment of the other passengers. I stood up and loudly shouted something on the lines of  'Please go away'. Instant silence and applause from the other passengers. Made my day

Cue 'Outraged from Leamington Spa'.

• Confused 3

I think your results will vary greatly government vs. private facility.

At a private hospital you decide yourself whether you have ADHD or not (or in this case your girlfriend). They want to sell you (pricey) Ritalin/Concerta after all.

At a government hospital I would expect the diagnosis/analysis to be a bit more thorough.

I have experience with the first, not the last.

Edited by Bassosa

Most psychiatrists do not accept adult onset ADHD as a valid diagnosis. Unless she had this in childhood it is unlikely to be ADHD.

There are  many other conditions that can seem like ADHD. Including mood disorders, borderline perdonality etc. Substance abuse also needs consideration. 

So rather than seeking  testing for ADHD you should more broadly be seeking an overall psychiatric assessment (but before wasting time and  money on that be sure to rule out substance abuse). 

There may be a psychiatrist or two at Vachira, the main government hospital in Phuket town but they will be rather junior and I doubt she will get  a meaningful psych assessment done. Closest good  option gor that  is government pysch hospital  in Surat Thani. https://www.suansaranrom.go.th/

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

The government hospital route will be the first step. I understand ADHD is more geared towards children and appears knowledge here is in its infancy. There a promising results coming from micro dosing with cannabis as this appears more of a natural approach and worth further investigation.

• 6 months later...

These conditions have been present for nearly as long as humanity has existed. Yet, in the past, people were often unaware of them, leading to the stigmatization and exclusion of individuals who exhibited these conditions from mainstream society. Today, thanks to scientific understanding, these conditions are manageable, and those affected by them are more at ease sharing their experiences. The key distinction is not an increase in prevalence but rather a heightened visibility.

About the test in Phuket, you are seeking a consultation with a psychiatrist. There are several private psychiatric clinics, and I believe, though I cannot be certain unless you inquire, that they can communicate fluently in English. Additionally, Bangkok Hospital Phuket has a mental health center, which could be a good starting point.

https://www.phukethospital.com/center/mental-health-center/#services