VoIP speed test / please test your speed

tgw

I use 3BB VDSL as a primary connection for VoIP and I'm in need of a backup connection.

So I'm thinking about using a 4G internet dongle with AIS, DTAC or True.

If you are using such a dongle, could you please provide me with speed test results, including jitter, for a host located in Zurich, Switzerland.

Here is one webpage that does this:

https://getvoip.com/speed-test-tool/

be sure to select another host, and choose one located in Zurich, Switzerland.

thank you

10 hours ago, KannikaP said:

VoiP takes very little bandwidth, so any internet connection, be it via a SIM card, which is what I presume you mean by 4G Dongle, or via 1Gb/s optic, should be OK for phone calls.

jitter. if the jitter is bad, VoIP will be unusable, regardless of bandwidth.

server in Zurich.

if you use such a connection, please post your results.

1 hour ago, tgw said:

server in Zurich.

I talk regularly to Dubai, USA & UK and watch TV/You Tube via my DTAC data connection. No problems.

53 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I talk regularly to Dubai, USA & UK and watch TV/You Tube via my DTAC data connection. No problems.

I note you had no problems using DTAC data connection (do you use a dongle or shared connection of the phone) to talk (is it VoIP or whatsapp or similar) with other locations than the one I'm interested in, thank you for that information.

I asked a specific question and requested a specific test and results.

3 minutes ago, tgw said:

I note you had no problems using DTAC data connection (do you use a dongle or shared connection of the phone) to talk (is it VoIP or whatsapp or similar) with other locations than the one I'm interested in, thank you for that information.

I asked a specific question and requested a specific test and results.

I use a DTAC Unlimited SIM card @ Bht 1200 per year. I can designate this as a Hot Spot if I want to use my PC to talk.

Are you trying to call someone in Zurich?

Edited by KannikaP

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I use a DTAC Unlimited SIM card @ Bht 1200 per year. I can designate this as a Hot Spot if I want to use my PC to talk.

Are you trying to call someone in Zurich?

Did you go to school at a Jesuit institution ?

I know my setup, and I am trying to determine how suitable 4G connections in Thailand are for VoIP using a server in Zurich. This depends on each operator's contracts with global data carriers and traffic shaping algortihms and network routing, that's why the geographical destination server is important.

I'm no consumer. I just need the data, I will transform the data into information myself.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, tgw said:

Did you go to school at a Jesuit institution ?

I know my setup, and I am trying to determine how suitable 4G connections in Thailand are for VoIP using a server in Zurich. This depends on each operator's contracts with global data carriers and traffic shaping algortihms and network routing, that's why the geographical destination server is important.

I'm no consumer. I just need the data, I will transform the data into information myself.

OK, no need for insults. Case closed for me. Sorry I tried to help.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

OK, no need for insults. Case closed for me. Sorry I tried to help.

I didn't insult you.

I had well-respected Jesuit teachers, and Jesuits generally have the habit to answer questions with other questions instead of providing the answer, that's all !

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, tgw said:

server in Zurich.

SIM are 50 baht. I am sure that you have a phone that you can utilise. No one is going to have their network scanned for you. 

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

That's the problem then. Well respected by whom?

Hope you get you VoIP working OK. Bye.

everyone, they were fine people !
sometimes a bit difficult to discuss with because of their language usage studies, rhetoric in particular, but that was part of the fun when speaking with them.

40 minutes ago, NextG said:

SIM are 50 baht. I am sure that you have a phone that you can utilise. No one is going to have their network scanned for you. 

it's not a network scan, it's a connection test that reveals no private information on who carries it out.

just:

host server used (in Zurich, there's monzoon, sunrise, wingo, etc.),

ping,

jitter,

upload speed,

download speed.

end of.

Edited by tgw

1 minute ago, tgw said:

everyone, they were fine people !
sometimes a bit difficult to discuss with because of their language usage studies, rhetoric in particular, but that was part of the fun when speaking with them.

I am not going to pursue this any further as it is off topic.

• Like 1

I did the test with my own mobile phone, setting it up as a hotspot.

I don't have a special data SIM, and the results were bad:

ping: 176ms

jitter: 172ms (this is very bad and makes VoIP unusable)

upload: 3mbits

download: 3.5mbits

Edited by tgw

9 minutes ago, tgw said:

ping: 176ms

You didn’t even name the network…nor your host server…

Random Zurich

AIS 

Ping 192

Jitter 4

1 hour ago, NextG said:

You didn’t even name the network…nor your host server…

Random Zurich

AIS 

Ping 192

Jitter 4

thank you, random Zurich is ok

that is using what type of connection ? 4G SIM in a dongle or hotspot from phone?

Edited by tgw

35 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

VoIP is a very low portion of the traffic in terms of bandwidth. It is actually a 64kHz time slot. That is the least problem you could experience.

yes, I agree.

ping and jitter are the most important KPI

54 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

You should not be getting any significant jitter on the network as the level of acceptable jitter is defined by international standards. I think you are worrying about something that probably does not exist.

I'm a see before I believe type of person.

for VoIP, acceptable jitter is said to be 30ms. of course, less is better.

there is no international standard for acceptable jitter, this is defined in SLA between carriers and clients, there are different levels of quality and percentage of time within requirements.

of course, most carriers try to deliver less than 30ms jitter, but there is a difference between a SLA that guarantees 20ms of jitter 90% of the time, and another that guarantees 30ms 99% of the time.

Edited by tgw

17 hours ago, tgw said:

So you used your phone as a WiFi hotspot?

And which device did you connect to your hotspot to perform the test?

17 hours ago, tgw said:

I love it when people tell you what they don't have. Can you tell us what brand SIM you have, and what plan(s) you are on?

17 hours ago, tgw said:

Obviously you have some data plan?

17 hours ago, tgw said:

This is indicative of some issue which I would guess is NOT related to the network. Jitter should be in the 2 ~ 4 ms range. It could be an issue with your hotspot configuration, or issues related to WiFi configurations.

I too get a very high jitter number (Zurich/Monzoon: 178 ms) when I use one phone (Google Pixel 6) as a WiFI hotspot, and use its 4G/LTE mobile data conenction via WiFi on a second phone. However, when I use the second phone directly connected to my WiFi router I get a jitter figure of 1 ms.

Without doing any research, my best guess is that this must be a result of the phone/wifi hotpsot introducing jitter as it processes packets. Packet loss = increased jitter?

Can you simply use the "Primary" phone, along with a decent data plan, to make you VoIP calls? Maybe you can share the details of your application?

You'll have to research this on your own to determine if say a 4G router of reasonable spec/price (e.g. TP-Link MR-100) can deliver adequate performance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2023 at 3:25 PM, tgw said:

I'm a see before I believe type of person.

for VoIP, acceptable jitter is said to be 30ms. of course, less is better.

there is no international standard for acceptable jitter, this is defined in SLA between carriers and clients, there are different levels of quality and percentage of time within requirements.

of course, most carriers try to deliver less than 30ms jitter, but there is a difference between a SLA that guarantees 20ms of jitter 90% of the time, and another that guarantees 30ms 99% of the time.

At 30ms corrective acrions are needed in accordance with the ITU regulations

• Confused 1