Best Countries to Retire

Hi Everyone!

As a Canadian expat, I've been considering my options for retirement and stumbled upon an interesting article about the "Best Places to Retire." Portugal ranks as the top country to retire in, thanks to its warm climate, affordable living costs, and high-quality healthcare. (Here are the full rankings: https://getgoldenvisa.com/best-places-to-retire)

I asked what is it like living in Thailand before, but now I'm seriously considering Portugal as my retirement destination and would love to hear from others who are also considering their options. Have you researched countries to retire in? What do you think are the most important factors to consider when choosing a country to retire in? Have you lived or traveled to Portugal before? What was your experience like?

Aside from Portugal, I'm also curious about other countries that rank highly for retirement, such as Spain, and Malta. Do you have any thoughts or experiences with these countries?

I believe that retirement is the time to start living life to the fullest, and I want to make the most of it. I think that choosing the right country to retire in is crucial for a fulfilling retirement experience. Let's discuss and share our thoughts on the best countries to retire in!

Thailand!!!!  This morning, chased by 5 soi dogs.  Almost hit by a motorbike, and eyes burning because of the pollution!!!!    But I did see a really pretty college girl doing the "walk of shame".   OMG, now it's super hot and I'm dying.  Aircon broke, and these walls are so poorly constructed.  

I'm sure immigration will visit me today, wife will kick me out, and my 20 baht noodle soup lady will be closed!!!

This is retirement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    hahahahahhahahahhahahahahahaha

Does Portugal have Pattaya?  NO.  END OF!!!!!  

Hindsight ... IF I wasn't bored with the USA, after 45 yrs, I probably would have stayed there.

IF bored with Canada, then keep searching, but before any move, think real hard about leaving.  Could live there when weather is good, then travel all points south to avoid winters.

Been a very nice 23 yrs here in TH, but if had a do over, I think I would have stayed in USA, and simply traveled more in the Americas.  All the nooks & crannies I didn't see would have kept me occupied.

Now, not sure I'd chose TH as a permanent retirement location.  The pollution, and increased number of tourist (2000/ ~8m - 2019/39+m), the past 23 yrs, had taken a lot of the good away. 

Most popular beaches, main reason for myself coming, are now crowded & polluted.  Air is horrendous Hua Hin and above 6 months of the year.

I can understand OP's dilemma. I'm in the same boat...

Last fall I spends 3 months in Gran Canaria Island, in Spain, and just got back from Pattaya after 2 months there.

It was good to compare those two which have about same climate. Dry and warm place is my goal. Plus my safety, clean air and interesting life style. I love hiking and be active in many ways.

Thailand is out! It's so filthy! So noisy! So crowded, can't drive, can't relax... and so on.

I'll miss people, food and pretty girls ???? but it's time to move to a place I feel happy and relaxed.

I'll thank Jomtien Immigration for helping me to decide (30-day extension took 7,5h!) and highly rated "Farang friendly" Jomtien Bangkok Bank (to close account took "only" 3,5h).

Gran Canaria is not my choice neither. Too expensive and too boring nature, just lava rock like Kona Hawaii, and island is always an island.

I love to hop in to my sports car and drive long distances! See beautiful green forests, mountains, rivers, lakes and meet people in small towns. One of the best place like that was "The Blue Ridge Parkway" in "The Great Smokey Mountains". I loved the area and interacting with friendly NASCAR crazy Rednecks in the bars.

So next I'll check out South Spain mainland despite the cool weather. Maybe Portugal too even I don't like to learn Portuguese. I already understand quite well Spanish after 40yrs in LA and can learn to speak quickly.

To live in the States is not impossible neither. I'm now in "boring" south Utah. It's SO CLEAN! Nobody smokes (Mormons!) , no littering, not much noise or crime. But Utah is too boring and MAGA stink is in the air ????

It's best to see around and make decision when brain is still working.

• Haha 1