Parties offering voters range of cures for Thailand’s ailing public health system

webfact

image.png

While Thais may be familiar with overcrowded state hospitals, that familiarity should not be grounds for dismissing political parties’ policies on public health in campaigning for the May 14 election.

Shaped by the parties who win seats in government, public health schemes are a matter of life and death in so many cases.

In mid-2022, 55-year-old Rabiab was rushed to a major state hospital in her home province of Khon Kaen with life-threatening diarrhea. There, she waited patiently in the long queue. After several hours, she finally saw a doctor and was told she needed a better-equipped hospital. But by the time she was transferred, it was too late. Rabiab died of her condition the following day.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/parties-offering-voters-range-of-cures-for-thailands-ailing-public-health-system/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-03-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ozz1 said:

How about putting money into it instead of buying army hardware that would be a good start

how about doing both and save money on useless bureaucracy....do you know the government buildings in Bangkok? They are big as cities and Thailand has I don't know how many provinces with local government. Way too much bureaucracy.
(not that I am much fan of military, but Thailand had almost a war a few years ago with Cambodia, Myanmar is very unstable. Lot of tension between China, Taiwan and USA and I have seen two floods in both the army was very efficient to help).

It's free as long as one is in their registered area of Thailand. Why is it not free for Thais no matter where they are in Thailand? What a sham. We all know that many from Isan work in Bangkok etc. Apparently if it's an emergency and they can not get back home to their registered hospital, then it is supposedly free. Tell that to the hospital that says it's not. So if some poor Thai has an emergency and they can not get back home they may still have to pay. Or the hospital just won't treat them.

I had a blackout last month and (so I was told later) was taken to the nearest local hospital who didn't have the facilities and they sent me to the main state hospital in Kamphaeng Phet.

I received excellent treatment from both hospitals. The total charges came to less than 7,000 baht for all the services, doctors fees, meds, saline drips, blood transfusions and 3 nights stay in the hospital.

The doctors, most nurses and many of the ancillary staff at both the local and the city hospitals speak English to some degree, and my wife stayed at the hospital while I was there.

IMHO the military should be slimmed down by at least 50%, turned into a professional military, and at least 50% of the budget taken away and invested properly in the Health system of Thailand.

Dump 80% of ALL the retired senior officers as they are simply a wate of money and space.

Edited by billd766
added extra text