What are my options for visa

Me and my wife have seperated (although still married) after 18 years, married for 15 of those with 2 young children.

During the 15 years i have always had some kind of either marrige visa or the last 3 years visa based on my thai dependants children.

Problem is that now she is becoming a bit unstable and 1 minute she is OK and can get on but 9 times out of 10 she just ignores me, phone calls, chats anything even though i try to talk about the kids. Even worse though is that she has completely turned the kids against me and they are currently staying with her.

So basically in a nutshell i doubt she is going to help to renew my visa as i will need copy of her ID, house book etc.

So if the situation stays like this what are my options in renewing my visa i Thailand as i cannot leave the country to get a visa as i only have 2 pages left in my passport.

Thanks

11 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

Thailand as i cannot leave the country to get a visa as i only have 2 pages left in my passport.

You don't need to obtain a visa.

However you need to leave Thailand border bounce and reenter visa exempt.

After entry obtain a non O retirement and subsequent extensions.

Not having to leave Thailand would have been an option if on good terms with wife and could change your extension to one based on retirement. 

Seems not possible. 

Obviously non O and extension has more difficult financial requirements.

If you cannot meet these you could consider use of agent. 

Edit: after thought..You could pay the wife to attend immigration for the change of extension to based on retirement. 

Edited by DrJack54

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You don't need to obtain a visa.

However you need to leave Thailand border bounce and reenter visa exempt.

After entry obtain a non O retirement and subsequent extensions.

Not having to leave Thailand would have been an option if on good terms with wife and could change your extension to one based on retirement. 

Seems not possible. 

Obviously non O and extension has more difficult financial requirements.

If you cannot meet these you could consider use of agent. 

Edit: after thought..You could pay the wife to attend immigration for the change of extension to based on retirement. 

Thia is the problem, as i only have 2 pages left in my passport i cannot do a border bounce as it will require a 1 page visa and stamps which will fill the passport and not enough time to get another passport.

I didn't anticipate having this issue as 1 more renwal, 1.page left so plenty of time to renew my passport

Im not old enough to get a retirement visa but ironclically enough i will be if i can get this renewal as i am 48 now soon to be 49 so 1 more extension i will be 50 when it expires.

17 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

June 4th

Geez.... renewal of pp prior to then problematic.

You could obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife or children

Thinking your best option is to encourage (bribe) wife to attend immigration for another extension based on marriage since retirement not an option.

Home visit might be tricky.

What was previous extension based on.  Assume children 

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Geez.... renewal of pp prior to then problematic.

Thinking your best option is to encourage (bribe) wife to attend immigration for another extension based on marriage since retirement not an option.

Home visit might be tricky.

Yeah,

Seems my only option, iv never had a home visit, probably because we of similar age and can see from photos and kids age its legit

But whats the betting when you dont want them to come they decide.to.

10 minutes ago, rwill said:

I don't know where your passport is issued but a US passport only takes about 3 weeks to get a new one mailing it in.

US passports in the US are taking between 7 and 9 weeks now to be returned after the application is submitted.  My daughter who is flying here in April applied back in late January and just got hers today. 

As far as in country here in BKK I am not sure how long the timeframe is for getting a new passport.  The Embassy website currently says this:

"Passport process may take up to four to five weeks from the date we receive your application package to when you receive your new passport book by mail. There is no expedite service when applying for U.S. passport overseas" 

So with mailing and return it could take 6 weeks or so in country.  That's for a US Passport.

Edited by ThailandRyan

7 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

Thia is the problem, as i only have 2 pages left in my passport i cannot do a border bounce as it will require a 1 page visa and stamps which will fill the passport and not enough time to get another passport.

I didn't anticipate having this issue as 1 more renwal, 1.page left so plenty of time to renew my passport.

No. You do not need a visa (as DrJack54 already explained). You can leave and re-enter, getting a visa-exempt entry stamp.

HOWEVER... either with or without a visa, you can only get stamped in up until the expiry date of your passport in any case.

The same situation would apply even if your wife co-operated fully: immigration will not give you a one year extension ... they will only give you an extension up until the expiry date of your passport. 

If you look at it properly, your only problem is that you did not apply for a new passport soon enough (the problem is *not* your wife, and the problem is *not* the number of pages remaining in your passport).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, judokrab said:

No. You do not need a visa (as DrJack54 already explained). You can leave and re-enter, getting a visa-exempt entry stamp.

HOWEVER... either with or without a visa, you can only get stamped in up until the expiry date of your passport in any case.

The same situation would apply even if your wife co-operated fully: immigration will not give you a one year extension ... they will only give you an extension up until the expiry date of your passport. 

If you look at it properly, your only problem is that you did not apply for a new passport soon enough (the problem is *not* your wife, and the problem is *not* the number of pages remaining in your passport).

Where did the OP mention that is passport was expiring? He is concerned about number of empty pages

• Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, judokrab said:

Dude you clearly havent read the post correctly

1. My passport is not expiring i have 2 pages left

2. The wife is the problem because if she co operated i could extend the visa for another 1 year as that takes 1 page so would have a year to renew my passport as i would only have 1 page

3. I cannot do a border run because that would take up 2 pages, thus after 30 days i would have 0 pages so couldn't do another border run so i would have to leave the country if a new passport hasn't arrived.

Edited by 2008bangkok

20 hours ago, rwill said:

I did mine last September.  It took 3 weeks.

Thats excellent, hope thats the same for me, although with these passpprt strikes coming up i bet another backlog will be incoming, hopefully passprts from anroad will miss that and go straight to printers.

Did you notice if they did a fast track service?

2 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

I cannot do a border run because that would take up 2 pages

You can get eVisa for Lao and Cambodia now so that's one less page taken up. Visa exempt border bounce before 31st March will get you 45 days, extendable once for 30 days. 

One page should fit the entry/exit stamps for such a trip.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Indeed.

I recently did trip to Vietnam with eVisa.

This pic shows the Red exit/reentry stamps from Thai imm and the other for Vietnam. 

IMG_20230324_171839_031.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/23/2023 at 3:44 PM, 2008bangkok said:

Im from UK, so not sure enough time

On 3/23/2023 at 4:55 PM, Toby1947 said:

The U.K. no chance of getting a new passport in that time frame the whole system is in chaos. More chance of getting a tax rebate ????????

UK passport renewals are, indeed, in a state of chaos at the present time, as described in this thread:-

Edited by OJAS
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

Did you notice if they did a fast track service?

Absolutely zero chance of a fast-track passport renewal service for us Brits from Thailand, I'm afraid! Click on the following link for details of the bureaucratic nightmare that lies ahead of you:-

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult

Probably worth your while paying an extra £10 for a jumbo-sized passport, I think, if you usually get through your passports like hot cakes!

This thread might also be worth a read:-

Edited by OJAS
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, OJAS said:

Absolutely zero chance of a fast-track passport renewal service for us Brits from Thailand, I'm afraid! Click on the following link for details of the bureaucratic nightmare that lies ahead of you:-

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult

Probably worth your while paying an extra £10 for a jumbo-sized passport, I think, if you usually get through your passports like hot cakes!

This thread might also be worth a read:-

Cheers man for links.

I always get jumbo sized passports, lol, this new one will now be my 4th in Thailand.

Back in the day when i was going to Laos for my 1 year Non O that's whats done it, Laos visa, Thai visa, then every 90 days Cambodia visa.

Do that a few times and it quickly fills up.

Since Covid i have EOS based on kids thats not so bad as only 1 page per year.

15 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

You can get eVisa for Lao and Cambodia now so that's one less page taken up. Visa exempt border bounce before 31st March will get you 45 days, extendable once for 30 days. 

This is excellent advice from Lemsta69, and probably your best option if your wife refuses to co-operate for your upcoming extension.

So apply for an e-Visa to Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam, and then do a border-run making sure to re-enter before 31st March.  That will provide you with a 45-day Permission to stay, which can be one-time extended for 30 days. 

If you apply immediately after return for a new UK passport, that will provide 75 days for the new Passport to arrive. 

That should be enough, but in case it is not you could then pay your wife or one of your children a hefty sum to accompany you to the Imm Office for an additional 60-day extension to visit your family.  

Note than when you bought a Re-Entry Permit for your current Permission to stay, that it would complicate things.  In case of a single Re-Entry Permit you would have to first do a border-run to 'use up' that single re-entry, and you would be stamped in again till your current permission to stay date.  And only then would you be able to go for the process as outlined higher.  If you bought a Multiple Entry Re-Entry Permit you would have to wait till 4th June before a border-run will provide you with a Visa Exempt permit to stay (and it's well possible that after 31st March the current prolonged 45-days for a Visa Exempt entry will be back to 30 days, so instead of 75 days for the new UK passport to arrive, you would only have 60 days). 

Edited by Red Phoenix

On 3/23/2023 at 11:21 AM, 2008bangkok said:

i am 48 now soon to be 49

When you get your new UK Passport, you will not immediately be able to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, as you need to be 50 years at date of application. 

But with that new passport you could once again leave Thailand before the end of the Permit to stay, and apply at a Thai Embassy/Consulate in a neighbouring country for a Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa, which will allow you with 2 in-between border-runs to stay almost 9 months in Thailand.  So that should be sufficient to bridge the time till you are 50 and can apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Give the wife 10-20k to go to immigration for your next extension based on marriage. 

Problem solved. 

Indeed, even if your wife is currently not willing to help you out to apply for your next extension, a sufficiently large sum of money will probably buy her co-operation which would solve the whole matter.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

Indeed, even if your wife is currently not willing to help you out to apply for your next extension, a sufficiently large sum of money will probably buy her co-operation which would solve the whole matter.

Yeah, and save me the hassle of getting a.new passport right 4his sexond with the strikes

Thais love money lol

5 minutes ago, youngexpat said:

can't you just add pages to your passport? I'm US and had the consulate drop 20 extra pages on my last passport as it was full.

When was that.

Think that is no longer an option.

Also the OP is UK 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

Yeah, and save me the hassle of getting a.new passport right 4his sexond with the strikes

Thais love money lol

You will still need to get a new ASAP, PP agents are accepted to renew UK pp unlike OZ. What IO are you using, if you explain to them about your wife some will help you.

• Thumbs Up 1