Tourists on Samui Island Give Thumbs Down Over Contaminated Oil in Sea Water

webfact

image.jpeg

PHOTO: MGR online

By Goongnang Suksawat

Samui Island, Surat Thani – Foreign tourists on Samui Island were disappointed and gave a big thumbs down after they found contaminated oil with a bad smell in the sea water.

On Thursday (March 23rd) sea water at Baan Mae Nam Beach was found with a black color, bad smell, and contaminated with oil stains. Tourists were afraid to go into the water. They designed to go for a massage instead.

A German couple said to local media that they sunbathed instead of going into the water.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/03/24/tourists-on-samui-island-give-thumbs-down-over-contaminated-oil-in-sea-water/

image.jpeg
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2023-03-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, khunPer said:

Wow, I live permanently beachfront on Maenam Beach and walk half the bay every day, I've seen not seen or heard about any oil contamination, so it might be very local in smaller part of the beach.

However, the sand might sometimes get dark from natural underground oil, which is so close to the seabed that small amounts can surface, where-after the dark oily sand can be moved by sea current and waves to the beaches of Samui. It's not contamination, it's nature...

image.jpeg.8d6f42e2212f63671885b2f3627bae66.jpeg

I have seen that sort of sand where the untreated sewerage leaches onto the beach from the outlet/lagoon behind the beach.

• Thumbs Up 1

A post with content from a disallowed source has been removed:

16. The Bangkok Post, Khaosod, Pattaya Mail, Phuket News and the Thaiger do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEAN NOW. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to the Bangkok Post, Khaosod, Pattaya Mail, Phuket News and the Thaiger publications will be deleted from the forum. These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not by ASEAN NOW. In rare cases, forum administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Purdey said:

Pollution ought to be more important in a massive tourism reliant country like Thailand. But it isn't. 

It wasn't pollution.

It was dead algae.

Google it.

I did post a reference but it was removed. (Sorry mods. ????)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

I have seen that sort of sand where the untreated sewerage leaches onto the beach from the outlet/lagoon behind the beach.

There is no lagoon behind Maenam Beach...:whistling:

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 6:17 PM, GreasyFingers said:

This is more likely to be the  problem. From one of the resorts that back on to the beach.