World's most polluted cities - and no, Thai cities do not make the list - IQAir Ranking explained

JohnNThai

THANKS ... as I may have said one or 10 times ...

... you really don't want to live Hua Hin or above all year long.

We're an hour below HH, and amazingly different AQI/PM2.5 #s

Though we still have a good solid 2 months of bad air AQI 75-100 average.

Definitely beats 4-6 months of 100+

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tom H said:

Analysis in short:

A „star“ behind an IQAir station means: The figure is extrapolated and not based on a sensor. 

State providers i.e. in Bangkok „own up“ to 50 stations. These stations have a „sprinkler“ nearby and lower figures for whatever reason:). Not always but many times.

Sansiri stations have always lower figures due to their policy or whatever.

Some station are not outside located. Schools i.e. 

Therefore:

Average figures of a city do not reveal the real situation. 

By the way:

International limits for PM2.5 are significant lower (10-20) than the limit of 50 in Thailand.

AQI is based on a very complex algorithm of different particles.

NO2 sensors or CO2 sensors missing:). So also here: No detection, no effect.

Therefore AQI not realy exact:)????

That means when you have PM2.5 of lets say 100 you are up to 500%  (and higher) over international standards????

Pm2.5 blocks the arteries with time….

No matter how old you are.

Solution:

Airpurifier and mask outside

You cant change the temperature inversion cold-warm-cold from begin of the cold season until the start of the hot season.

There’s so much that still needs to be done. Standardized sensor placement, complete sensor array as you mentioned and more study into the topic as well. It cannot go on like this. KN95 mask wearing and air purifiers are a must, except for the Deep South I haven’t been anywhere in the rest of Thailand, where I didn’t feel an effect of pollution. What just lead me to this summary is the constant sensationalism and constant ranking of this and that. Who knows how many hundred cities around the world are just as bad or even worse. And if these inaccurate readings already signify something even worse, I really don’t want to know the real values. Instead of blaming and bashing one city or region, we should be working on monitoring all places and put it measures to mitigate as much as we can.

• Like 1

According to the Geo-informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GITSDA), 5,572 hotspots were detected in Thailand yesterday, which was a 5-year record high. In the meantime, there were 10,563 hotspots in Myanmar, 9,652 in Laos, 1,342 in Cambodia, 870 in Vietnam and 22 in Malaysia

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom H said:

According to the Geo-informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GITSDA), 5,572 hotspots were detected in Thailand yesterday, which was a 5-year record high. In the meantime, there were 10,563 hotspots in Myanmar, 9,652 in Laos, 1,342 in Cambodia, 870 in Vietnam and 22 in Malaysia

This year is absolutely crazy again. Over 25,000 hotspots in Southeast Asia alone. I’m afraid we won’t see this matter resolved in our lifetime.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 11:34 PM, Tom H said:

Solution:

Airpurifier and mask outside

Sorry but that is not much of a "Solution"

Like telling folks starving in a desert the solution is a Sand-wich ????

Seriously though it is something each person should really look closely at & decide.

Because this kind of health risk is actually optional

(optional maybe not for everyone but many can change their choice to live in such conditions)

Edited by mania
  • Like 1