Polls show advantage still with the opposition and that Pheu Thai is on course for government reins

webfact

image.jpeg

(From Left) Pita Limjaroenrat the leader of the Move Forward Party who is the capital’s first choice for prime minister according to last Sunday’s NIDA poll. Srettha Thavisin, the presumed nominee for prime minister for the Pheu Thai Party and Paetongtarn Shinawatra, the party’s figurehead who is also expected to be a nominee for the top job when papers are expected to be filed on April 5th next.

by Carla Boonkong & Pranee O' Connor

Two polls by two reputable polling organisations show the Pheu Thai Party and Move Forward Party still consolidating their position while the Bhumjaithai Party and Palang Pracharat parties appear to be crumbling in support in Bangkok and among urban voters. On a nationwide basis, the opposition parties are seen as being supported by two-thirds of the electorate. The polls show clearly that the door to General Prayut Chan ocha being returned as prime minister is only ajar but inexorably, closing. 

Two polls on Sunday suggested that the opposition parties are still on course to win the General Election which is to be held on May 14th. However, one of the polls, conducted nationally by Suan Dusit, does indicate that the coalition government parties may still have a chance of preventing a Pheu Thai Party landslide which would make it impossible for the Thai upper house or Senate to stop the party sweeping into government. The other poll shows Move Forward Party leader Pita Limjaroenrat emerging as the capital’s favoured choice for prime minister while the national poll showed the party as the voice of voters aged 18 to 30 years of age suggesting that Thai politics is changing.

Two polls released on Sunday show the momentum of the opposition parties has not diminished ahead of the General Election, now officially scheduled for May 14th next, approximately 6 weeks from now.

Full story: https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2023/03/27/polls-shows-pheu-thai-on-course-for-power/

Tex.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Examiner 2023-03-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Two polls by two reputable polling organisations show the Pheu Thai Party and Move Forward Party still consolidating their position while the Bhumjaithai Party and Palang Pracharat parties appear to be crumbling in support in Bangkok and among urban voters. On a nationwide basis, the opposition parties are seen as being supported by two-thirds of the electorate. The polls show clearly that the door to General Prayut Chan ocha being returned as prime minister is only ajar but inexorably, closing. 

Best news all day...

If only the Pheu Thai Party and Move Forward Party could work-out a coalition they'd sweep the board virtually clean.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Anyone would be better than these cretins and crooks that have power now and for the last wasted 8 years... even a MF and PT coalition would be okay for now. Hopefully the Thais stand up say make it clear that it's time for something new.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Best news all day...

If only the Pheu Thai Party and Move Forward Party could work-out a coalition they'd sweep the board virtually clean.

That may yet happen in the aftermath of the election.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is 2023. There is no place for highly corrupt, bloated, overly rich, super toxic dinosaurs anymore. 

Out with the army. Any change at this point would be a good thing. 

This is just uneducated unexperiencied text written  by a guy who do not know too much about Thailand.... Democrazy or not, So far the army have done wonders in this country. I was here before and especially DURING the 2014, and noted how close it really was for a civilwar... Have you seen this, than you will be VERY happy over the law and order and prosperity Thailand gained since then...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

This is just uneducated unexperiencied text written  by a guy who do not know too much about Thailand.... Democrazy or not, So far the army have done wonders in this country. I was here before and especially DURING the 2014, and noted how close it really was for a civilwar... Have you seen this, than you will be VERY happy over the law and order and prosperity Thailand gained since then...

Prosperity, huh? Most Thais would disagree with you. I sure hope you are receiving a large monthly service fee, for the army PR work you are preforming. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Problem is and still will be the power of the senate to appoint a new prime minister. Reading the Thai Examiner article until the almost end, even if the now-opposition parties garner enough MP seats and decide against the senate, it will result in unstable government with limited spending powers. Everyone's denying a coup attempt, but with the military dominant senate still in place, the possibility is still not completely off the table. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

Rubbish.

I have been living here in Thailand since 2001 and through the coups of 2006 and 2014 and the military have done NOTHING for the Thai people other than to make the poor poorer, the rich much richer, imprison people for standing up for their rights and stamp out happiness.

You are only speaking for yourself as I am.

There is NO proper law and order in Thailand under this government and corruption by the RTP and the military has reached unprecedented heights.

What has Prayuth done about his promise to clean up corruption in the RTP, the military and the civil service and restore happiness to the Thai people in the last 8 years or so?

I have no Idea if you are living in the same Thailand as the rest of us but I suspect not.

I have no clue where you might live with that kind of "popular" insights about the situation in Thailand. Sure you really live in Thailand?? Well probably a secluded life in Pattaya it seems.

Over my horizon here in Isaan, the money taking by the police out in the streets stopped immediately. They are struggling with Immigration to get that into shape, but at least the very worst of it is gone since 2014.....

My falang-life ave gone to a quite good situation since 2014 taking note how Thailand prosper and they are building all over Thailand..... Roads and houses....

You should really stop talking FOR other people, you are just one of them and not all are blind and hateful as you are...

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

I have no clue where you might live with that kind of "popular" insights about the situation in Thailand. Sure you really live in Thailand?? Well probably a secluded life in Pattaya it seems.

Over my horizon here in Isaan, the money taking by the police out in the streets stopped immediately. They are struggling with Immigration to get that into shape, but at least the very worst of it is gone since 2014.....

My falang-life ave gone to a quite good situation since 2014 taking note how Thailand prosper and they are building all over Thailand..... Roads and houses....

You should really stop talking FOR other people, you are just one of them and not all are blind and hateful as you are...

Well to start with I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet as I have done since 2004 with 3 years in Bangkok before that. And I have been working in and out of Thailand since 1993.

I read the rest of your post and found little truth in it and consider it a total waste of space.

I ONLY speak for myself and if you think that I am "quote from your post,

you are just one of them and not all are blind and hateful as you are..."

you really ought to look at my past posts. Who knows you may even learn something

• Like 1