Rooster Reports 6: It's quiet so Thai teacher Rooster shares a language tip!

webfact

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-03-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 2

No rooster, it's not OK.

I've seen numerous examples of moderators scolding posters about saying exactly, verbatim, what you did in your first sentence.

Yeah, petty I know, but there you have it. I'm never quite understand the negative nature of such a peccadillo (word chosen specifically for your delight).

• Like 1

It was a good tip.

I would just add that when trying to make that sound for the first time, to slow down your speech so that you can then isolate the ng sound more easily.

Then later, change the English words to use different vowels with the ng sound: nga, ngi, ngo, etc.  

10 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

He forgot ngoo, a snake.

A Ngo is also a rambutan, same word as idiot.

1. No, he didn't. He didn't have it on his card but he mentioned it at 1m20s. 

2. No, it isn't. It's a different word with different spelling: different vowel, different vowel length and a different tone. The only thing that is the same is the consonant ngo ngoo. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The tones don't make any difference.  It is the IQ of the listener.  If you talk a slum dweller, they won't understand a word.  If you talk to a student from Mahidol, they will understand you perfectly in Thai.

Me:  Ao cappuccino ron.

Slum person:  Alai na?

Me:  Ao gaffae ron.

Cafe Amazon:  Sure do you want to have it here or take away?

Pom Loong tan, or I am lost, I have used in the past, and well as ngong.

When I seen a staggering drunk European tourist one time I said farang ngoo, or stupid farang.

Anyway I quit learning Thai when my Thai wife kept correcting me all the time when

I tried to speak Thai language. I am so thankful that so many of my Thai relatives and friends

speak English, much easier for this old senior. I still like to eat kanoom croc, and roti for my desserts.

Great for my diet.

Cheers.