Foreign thieves preying on tourists at Suvarnabhumi Airport arrested - authorities warn tourists

webfact

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

Even the Mongols! Heavens to Genghis Khan.

BTW, what are "classic theft techniques." Might help awareness if described.

My thoughts exactly! If some explanation is given it would help us to know what to look for! Most of us are not thieves and don't know how they do it.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, paulbrow said:

My thoughts exactly! If some explanation is given it would help us to know what to look for! Most of us are not thieves and don't know how they do it.

Distraction usually . Made easier after a long haul flight .

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, DonVito82 said:

That Japanese goon is beyond stupid.  Exchanging your Yen at the airport at a rate 3-4 Baht lower than the actual rate. ???? Then getting robbed by a bunch of clowns. Asians are the most easy to rob. You see it here in Holland on the news (all the time!) as well.

10 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Not at Super Rich near the train station. You get a good rate. Metres away the main banks in the terminal have terrible rates. 

Not only do you proclaim yourself clueless as to the worst kept 'secret' (widely known about for many years) in Suvarnabhumi: the best rates downstairs near the slip down to the railway - but then offer up this gem, even using the full Xe rate for JPY getting "3-4 Baht lower than the actual rate" he would have at best been not worth robbing or more likely found himself in negative exchange territory.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

don't want to victim blame, but a little uncommon common sense goes a long way.

could you explain that a little?  The perps watched the exchange of a large amount of money and then went after it. I've never seen any privacy at an exchange booth, it's all out in the open.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The director of Suvarnabhumi Airport along with airport and tourist police have announced the arrest of three members of a Mongolian gang preying on foreign and Thai tourists at the airport.

So that's the Director of the airport got one, the airport police got one, and the tourist police got one?

Not bad going! ???? 

28 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

could you explain that a little?  The perps watched the exchange of a large amount of money and then went after it. I've never seen any privacy at an exchange booth, it's all out in the open.

You get a large amount (subjective) of funds in public view, but don't secure it.

What is there to explain ?  

If you don't understand uncommon common sense, when it comes to that situation ...  oh well, next news blip may be about you.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I know it says they are Mongolians, but they could be Russians dodgy AF, I think the term they use to describe them is Buryats, Pootin as been using them in the war in Ukraine, They are the ones who have been doing all the thieving and looting and raping,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, paulbrow said:

You think that detailing pickpocketing instructions would be a good thing?  No one needs to know the specifics of skilled theft, they just need to know to keep an eye (and a hand) on their own valuables and be suspicious of being crowded. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Not at Super Rich near the train station. You get a good rate. Metres away the main banks in the terminal have terrible rates. 

In other areas of the airport yes. Last time I changed money down near the train station, Kasikorn's rates were the same as Superich's.  Imagine how someone who doesn't know about the booths down there is going to feel if they'd just changed money at a Kasikorn upstairs then see the same bank offering a much better rate downstairs?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

In other areas of the airport yes. Last time I changed money down near the train station, Kasikorn's rates were the same as Superich's.  Imagine how someone who doesn't know about the booths down there is going to feel if they'd just changed money at a Kasikorn upstairs then see the same bank offering a much better rate downstairs?

Slightly less violated than if they'd  been helped along by some Mongolians

10 hours ago, markclover said:

These thieves must be really good at what they do.

Apparently not, considering they got caught.

9 hours ago, brianthainess said:

instead of doing an uncover op, the two women got away, a sting could have been easily set up.

But then again neither is the police - considering they let (at least) 2 suspects get away when they could've easily caught them. Now they'll probably lay low for a while then restart their "operation" later.

As far as the tourists themselves go - exchanging large amounts of money at the airport is stupid to begin with, but if you do the least you can do is carry it with you in a way that cannot be easily stolen rather than dump it in a bag (huh?).

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Kittipong urged travellers to take care of their possessions and said that security had been beefed up.

So a few more bored officers will be assigned to the airport so  they can stand around, and after 2-weeks, will be returned to their regular postings.

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

You get a large amount (subjective) of funds in public view, but don't secure it.

What is there to explain ?  

If you don't understand uncommon common sense, when it comes to that situation ...  oh well, next news blip may be about you.

Jugging it is now called. Follow someone that has just got a large amount of cash and rob them of it. Latest is to make headlines is a Dallas woman hospitalized after being body slammed; returning 24 miles to home from the bank.  She was followed for 24 miles.

The 'secure' part is difficult for many.  Putting the money in a wallet, or pocket, or fanny pack isn't secure enough these days.

32 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Jugging it is now called. Follow someone that has just got a large amount of cash and rob them of it. Latest is to make headlines is a Dallas woman hospitalized after being body slammed; returning 24 miles to home from the bank.  She was followed for 24 miles.

The 'secure' part is difficult for many.  Putting the money in a wallet, or pocket, or fanny pack isn't secure enough these days.

Dallas, 24 miles away ... ????

How hard is it to secure 1 stack of money 100k, I mean seriously.  Stick it in your bra/underwear (if not wearing boxers), and just think if you planned ahead.

People keep the phones dry during songkran, pouch around the neck, under your shirt/blouse.

How people lose sh!t all the time is mind bogglingly stupid.  Som naa na

I lost a wallet ... once ... lesson learned, and only had a few $$$ in it, not even a DL as too young to have.  

Note to self:  don't put wallet in back pocket while on a horse.

Edited by KhunLA