Thai woman loses 100,000 baht to online dating scam

webfact

Gullible and even savvy people are being taken by crooks on a daily basis and there isn't much one can do about other than to be extra careful meeting and dealing new people and not putting trust in them from the beginning and not leave an open door to be cheated, robbed and scammed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why is this described as an online dating scam?

I read the story: She met the guy. She spend many hours with him.

And then it seems they got drunk together and according to her he stole her cash and jewelry.

Does it matter if he met her online or offline?

Didn't read it but if that is the case it is a robbery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Natthamon woke at 5am and Tong was gone with all of her valuables, including 25,000 baht in cash, a 15 grammes gold necklace, a buddha amulet in a gold frame, a gold bracelet, and three gold rings. A total cost of about 100,000 baht.

Moral I would guess would be do not jump into bed with a man you have never met before on a first date. 

More important, don't get drunk and then sleep like a stone. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Natthamon said she was also single and saw that Tong had the potential to be a good boyfriend.

Whereas Tong saw that Natthamon had the potential to be a gullible gal!! 
Both were scheming, only one succeeded. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Natthamon woke at 5am and Tong was gone with all of her valuables, including 25,000 baht in cash, a 15 grammes gold necklace, a buddha amulet in a gold frame, a gold bracelet, and three gold rings. A total cost of about 100,000 baht.

Moral I would guess would be do not jump into bed with a man you have never met before on a first date. 

That or maybe not carry 75,000 baht worth of jewellery for no real reason.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

I just love it when a thai gets scammed ......    the coffee taste better this morning  :coffee1:

I do not like it when any ordinary, I emphasis ordinary, person gets scammed, except of course scammers themselves.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, ezzra said:

Gullible and even savvy people are being taken by crooks on a daily basis and there isn't much one can do about other than to be extra careful meeting and dealing new people and not putting trust in them from the beginning and not leave an open door to be cheated, robbed and scammed.

11 hours ago, 2baht said:

There's a sucker born every minute! ????

@ezzra should know... he got scammed by a Thai guy who borrowed money and wanted to pay him back with a 300 000bht kilo of top shelf weed. Heed your words man. BTW did you ever take up your friend on his generous offer?

• Haha 1

From the given article link: 

"Natthamon woke at 5am and Tong was gone with all of her valuables, including 25,000 baht in cash, a 15 grammes gold necklace, a buddha amulet in a gold frame, a gold bracelet, and three gold rings. A total cost of about 100,000 baht.

Natthamon contacted Tong at 7am. He told her that he was at another hotel and would pick her up. She waited until 9am, but Tong remained silent. She realised that she had been robbed (...)"

Not about online dating, but about one stupid woman, who, after just meeting this guy, got drunk and robbed, then was so gullible to believe this guy, who had just robbed her, that he was 'at another hotel and would meet her later...' ????????

Edited by StayinThailand2much