Thailand's extreme air pollution: 'I feel sorry for my daughter'

webfact

image.jpeg
Thommamoon Khowasat is worried about the lingering poor air quality in Chiang Rai

By Tossapol Chaisamritpol & Joel Guinto
in Bangkok and Singapore

For the past few weeks, Thommamoon Khowasat has painstakingly explained to his four year-old daughter that the yellow cloud they see outside their window - which has tickled her imagination - is actually a danger to her health.

It's a scare that has gripped northern Thailand where millions of people are currently finding it harder to breathe.

Widespread farm burning and forest fires have created a smog that's even thicker than usual, which is choking communities and exposing them to respiratory disease.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-65120502

BBC.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2023-03-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7
  • Love It 1

16 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

image.png.57e9c470ed367990d4c1eaf0663ffddb.png

image.thumb.jpeg.9ce4c80b958f6cb14690de62ca864324.jpeg

Close the windows! Else vacuum sensor at the back. This is not normal for filter running in (seems Air Purifier Pro) up to 60m2 space, if 450 AQI outside it should bring it down to 30-50 AQI inside with leaky Thai windows...

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Like 2

This week in my area (rural Korat) has not been to bad. Most of the burning has finished apart from the charcoal kilns that seem to operate 24/7.

The old fella two doors up has hopefully run out of fuel for a while, my family has been coughing for months as has most of the village. 

Sure he makes a living but is killing people slowly to do so. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, mania said:

What is amazing is Thailand closed its doors & wrecked its economy over Covid which had a total of 33k deaths.

Yet this bad air has in just a year been liable for  29,000 deaths across 31 Thai provinces in 2021— Greenpeace

For you to believe only 33k Died in Thailand shows you believe the reported government statistics.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Close the windows! Else vacuum sensor at the back. This is not normal for filter running in (seems Air Purifier Pro) up to 60m2 space, if 450 AQI outside it should bring it down to 30-50 AQI inside with leaky Thai windows...

This was before I shut the doors downstairs in the morning. It's sealed up now but it still can't get below 150 in this area. I've ordered another one as I only have 2 and one is at work with the wife.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

For you to believe only 33k Died in Thailand shows you believe the reported government statistics.

Actually no I do not believe most anything any government says but..........

Using reported numbers as a general baseline for comparison is ok & that is what I find

A number for reported covid related deaths & a number for reported air pollution related deaths

Remember your knife cuts both ways. Other countries over reported covid deaths because of funding options

available based on how many recorded "covid related" deaths they could tally

Truth is many were "covid related" deaths ....even if actually killed by many other things but patient "had" covid at some point

Lastly what is your point anyway? Your saying what? Thailand has no air pollution related deaths?

Try to concentrate your drifting...????

Edited by mania
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Anyone thinking of retiring or even visiting Thailand needs to think very seriously about this.

I didn't realize how serious this was until I was there and lived threw it. It is life threatening. And absolutely miserable.  Just a horrible place to be this time of the year.

This has been the worst in the 20 years I have been here, hopefully when the rains come it will be gone. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Nobody wrecks anything with common sense and brain ???? During covid !! Stupid people are the same as arrogant people and the reason why since man started walking upright, Human Ignorance is always what spreads disease ???? And sickness.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Bangkok's air quality has detoriated since Prauth came to power and started subsidising sugar farmers, and Hua Hin also suffers from the burning of sugar from December until March ( source Airvisual)

The only part of Thailand that is not heavily polluted, except for 2 to 3 weeks a year is the south. South of Phuket that is. 

yes Prayuth himself polluted Bangkok......You shouldn't believe every propaganda....
Somewhen at Thaksins time they started to check trucks and normal cars, and that got better every year....20 years downtown the houses were black from the truck smoke and normal cars got way more modern....that is like 90% improvement. Probably on the edges of Bangkok the smoke from burning fields enter....which is a problem since long before Prayuth I remember that often airports had to be closed because of the smoke. It might got worse over the years or maybe the people just got more hysterical.....it was unbearable bad in the past as well

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, h90 said:

yes Prayuth himself polluted Bangkok......You shouldn't believe every propaganda....
Somewhen at Thaksins time they started to check trucks and normal cars, and that got better every year....20 years downtown the houses were black from the truck smoke and normal cars got way more modern....that is like 90% improvement. Probably on the edges of Bangkok the smoke from burning fields enter....which is a problem since long before Prayuth I remember that often airports had to be closed because of the smoke. It might got worse over the years or maybe the people just got more hysterical.....it was unbearable bad in the past as well

I have also lived here for more than 20 years and yes the pollution from traffic is indeed less, be it visually or in measurable.  The heavy smog we see the last couple of years, however, are new. Thaksin economics promoted the multiple rice crops, which heavily  pollutes the Central Plains, but the sugar cane burning is the icing on the xake. The entire East, West snd central parts of Thailand are suffering because of it. 

Just look at the pollution maps, large natural and forested areas in the west are polluted. Beach towns and resorts like Hua Hin and Pattaya are also suffering, so this problem goes beyond Bangkok or the North.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

It's a scare that has gripped northern Thailand where millions of people are currently finding it harder to breathe.

Widespread farm burning and forest fires have created a smog that's even thicker than usual, which is choking communities and exposing them to respiratory disease

Vote wisely for someone who cares.

6 hours ago, racket said:

That would immediately kill their economy, and only then, will the local governments wake up to the fact. Thais are complacent and don't seem to care much, but when it comes down to the economy and money - that's when they will finally make the uncomfortable decision.

Good point, if the British embassy openly and very publicly told travelers to steer clear of hot-spots with daily updates on where not to go the powers to be might just do something more positive than monitor the situation until it goes away.

• Thanks 1

Serious Thai rioting against the politicians who allow this year after year is the only way.

It is the only language they understand in any country.

If there was a covid outbreak in Chiang Mai, the city would be locked up, out and down within the hour.