switch Non Imm-O extension from marriage to retirement

For more than 10 years I have obtained an extension of a Non Imm-O based on marriage and 400,000 THB in the bank 2 months before the new application (in fact I never touched the money).  Now I want to switch to the less complicated extension based on retirement.

1) on 2 February I increased my bank account to 800,000 THB

2) my previous extensions always ended on 27 April

3) I thought to go now on 3 April to make the application for a "retirement" extension because I have then the 800,000 THB in the bank for 2 months

4) Could I be refused this extension because I/O wants this 800,000 THB in the bank 3 months before the application?  I that case could I apply for a one month extension first (up to 27 May) and then apply for a "retirement extension" after May 2nd?

Extension based on retirement is 800k+ for TWO months prior to day of application for extension based on retirement.

Extensions can be applied for up to 30 days prior to expiry and up to 45days at some offices eg CW, CM etc 

Note : immigration require your wife to attend with you. 

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Office will normally want your wife to accompany you if you were previously on a marriage extension (which I have always considered strange).

My take on it is that the current extension is based on marriage.

If divorce occured then your permission of stay would end.

Guessing immigration want to see a genuine change from based on marriage to retirement.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks to the Forum members who replied.

My extension based on retirement with 2 months money in the bank was accepted (although I/O papers want 3 months for a first application but as I was already in their system with previous extensions based on marriage they made it easy)

I am still married but just tired of the increasing paperwork to get an extension based on marriage.

Until 5 years ago I/O accepted an affidivit supporting by a printout of my government pension / then my signature had to be legalised by the Embassy / then further legalisation at the CW Consular department became necessary etc etc... I am not blaming the I/O who told me how many "fake" declarations of income were noticed the last years by Immigration Head Office.

• Thumbs Up 1

@fvw53

Glad it worked out....that is, switching from a marriage to a retirement extension.

What is your servicing immigration office?   Also, you opening post indicated for 10 years you used the Bt400K deposit method two months before applying for your annual marriage extension, but in your latest post am I understanding you right that you were instead using the monthly income method for the last 5 years OR you just know if going the monthly income method at your immigration office it would have required legalization, blessing by the gods, etc.?       

But if you were using the Bt400K deposit method, why would your immigration ask for source of income proof.....source of income proof is usually only requested by some offices when doing the monthly income method.   But of course, some immigration offices do seem to make every effort to make extensions hard and can pretty much ask for any document while others seem to be very flexible in approving extensions without paperwork which must be blessed by the gods.

I  did a marriage extension of stays for 3 years at CW (Bangkok) using the Bt400K and they never required proof as to the source of the income....that is, where the Bt400K came from.  They only required the bank letter confirming I indeed had a Thai bank acct with X-amount in it on day X and a copy of  the bank passbook showing the balance never dropped below Bt400K during the two months before the extension application date.

Anyway, glad to hear it worked out.  I never found the additional docs to get a marriage extension as in comparison to a retirement extension as "too much additional durn paperwork" since it didn't take too much effort to prepare that additional paperwork each year....but my servicing immigration office (i.e., CW) never made it hard.   Cheers.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1