NON-B application as a 'resident' of Thailand - Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency

Thailand is my only residency, I live here on NON-B visas as I work here, I am not a permanent resident though.

In 2 weeks, I will not be working, and my visa will be cancelled. I will temporarily go back to my original country. I do this purely to apply for a new NON-B visa and indend to return within a month of me arriving there.

Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency

Is my "current residency" Thailand at that point? Or is my temporary visit to my home country my residency? I wouldn't have any address, bills, or anything at all specifying that I reside there, maybe a 2 days hotel stay at best. Even official documents from our government states I am NOT a resident (address in official documents states: DEREGISTERED).

What should I do?

Thank you!

It is worth noting that, as far as I know, the rules you cite are only applicable when applying for an e-visa. It is long been common to apply for Non B visas at embassies/consulates in countries close to Thailand, and (subject to limitations on issuing multiple entry visas) I believe this is still perfectly acceptable.

18 hours ago, jombangkok said:

Thailand is my only residency, I live here on NON-B visas as I work here, I am not a permanent resident though.

In 2 weeks, I will not be working, and my visa will be cancelled. I will temporarily go back to my original country. I do this purely to apply for a new NON-B visa and indend to return within a month of me arriving there.

Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency

Is my "current residency" Thailand at that point? Or is my temporary visit to my home country my residency? I wouldn't have any address, bills, or anything at all specifying that I reside there, maybe a 2 days hotel stay at best. Even official documents from our government states I am NOT a resident (address in official documents states: DEREGISTERED).

What should I do?

Thank you!

Hi, I think I was in a similar situation about a year ago.  I had lived and worked in Thailand for many years on NonB extensions/work permits.  Post pandemic, I had to return unexpectedly to my home country, and had to let my NonB extension lapse.  I still had my work permit, still owned my Thai company, and had no address or residency in my home country.

To get the new NonB e-visa from my US consulate I had to list my "current residency" as a US address.  The e-visa system wanted to route me to the correct Thai consulate for my place of residency. Listing my actual Thailand address wasn't an option, at least at that time.  I had just one document (liability insurance used for car rentals) that listed a US address on it - my parents' address.  This was acceptable for the e-visa.

I don't know if the system may have been changed to accept Thai addresses since then, but that was the case about a year ago.  I communicated with the Thai consulate (US NY) by FB message during my application.  I've had the impression that the NY consulate is pretty with it, and so they may have understood the situation looking at the documents.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is worth noting that, as far as I know, the rules you cite are only applicable when applying for an e-visa. It is long been common to apply for Non B visas at embassies/consulates in countries close to Thailand, and (subject to limitations on issuing multiple entry visas) I believe this is still perfectly acceptable.

True. I will however do this application in my home country where they now use the eVisa system. 

3 hours ago, Misty said:

Hi, I think I was in a similar situation about a year ago.  I had lived and worked in Thailand for many years on NonB extensions/work permits.  Post pandemic, I had to return unexpectedly to my home country, and had to let my NonB extension lapse.  I still had my work permit, still owned my Thai company, and had no address or residency in my home country.

To get the new NonB e-visa from my US consulate I had to list my "current residency" as a US address.  The e-visa system wanted to route me to the correct Thai consulate for my place of residency. Listing my actual Thailand address wasn't an option, at least at that time.  I had just one document (liability insurance used for car rentals) that listed a US address on it - my parents' address.  This was acceptable for the e-visa.

I don't know if the system may have been changed to accept Thai addresses since then, but that was the case about a year ago.  I communicated with the Thai consulate (US NY) by FB message during my application.  I've had the impression that the NY consulate is pretty with it, and so they may have understood the situation looking at the documents.

I see, thank you.