Overstay on Visa Exemption

Hello, I completely forgot to go and extend my visa exemption stamp which ended on March 28.
Since the immigration offices are closed on weekends, I could only go there on Monday (I stay in Phuket)
Do you know if it will be possible for me to get an extra 30 days by paying an overstay fine, or will I have a problem?

Thank you very much 

49 minutes ago, 1ricardsvp said:

Do you know if it will be possible for me to get an extra 30 days by paying an overstay fine, or will I have a problem?

Thank you very much 

You should be fine to pay overstay and apply for extension. 

• Thanks 2

On 3/31/2023 at 6:28 PM, DrJack54 said:

Exactly. 

Bit of added info to give OP bit of confidence.

My last extension at CW ....I had a chap I chatted to waiting for que ticket.

Anyway he was 5 day overstay visa exempt. 

At that time extension for visa exempt was done at MTT.

Explained that and as I was leaving and offered short car drive to MTT. 

Cut to the chase he LINE me later that he paid overstay and obtained extension. 

Hopefully same will work out for the OP.

Worst case (as you point out) he pays overstay his extension refused and given 7 days to get out of Dodge. 

Question, if the OP does get given 7 days to leave, can he go to, say Vietnam, for a few days and return on another visa exempt? Does the fact that he was given 7 days to leave have any negative impact?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Question, if the OP does get given 7 days to leave, can he go to, say Vietnam, for a few days and return on another visa exempt? Does the fact that he was given 7 days to leave have any negative impact?

He can return straight away.

That also applies to folk that decide to just exit via airport pay overstay fine and reenter.

A short stay out of Thailand would be good idea. 

Regarding enter visa exempt any issue would be down to his history of semi continuous time spent in Thailand with visa exempt and tourist visas.

I'm pretty sure that immigration will let him pay overstay and apply for 30 day extension 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

The order to leave the country within seven days has zero negative connotations. Some officials at airports, however, might take the short overstay into account if there is a close decision on whether to grant you a visa exemption. If you want to return immediately, it might be prudent to use a land crossing.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Don't get caught on overstay from now until you arrive at immigration on Monday.

Quite, a couple of weeks ago, I recall a man and woman who were on overstay of 9 days and 6 days respectively, they were both arrested and paraded in front of 4 or 5 cops and no doubt deported, or still in IDC?

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, 1ricardsvp said:

I just had to pay a 3000 baht fine, in addition to the 1900 baht for the 30-day extension.

Besides, I thought there was a limit of 2500 baht for this type of fine, but I was just too happy that the immigration officer didn't seem bothered by my request to discuss it ????

Did they give you a receipt?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1ricardsvp said:

I thought there was a limit of 2500 baht for this type of fine

Overstay fine is 500 Baht per day with a max of 20,000 Baht. The fine was correct - with or without a receipt 555

Good to see leniency and understanding from your IO.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, 1ricardsvp said:

I just had to pay a 3000 baht fine, in addition to the 1900 baht for the 30-day extension

That's a good outcome and played out as some posts suggested. 

As pointed out above the maximum fine for overstay is 20k. 

However there are various ban periods also. 

Keep in mind that what happened in your situation was for "short overstay" 

If it had been more significant eg 3 weeks then best approach would have been to exit via air asap and pay overstay at airport. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1