Sticky Rice In A Rice Cooker?

canadiangirl

Hey guys,

Can I cook sticky rice in a rice cooker? Everything I've read online says I need to soak for 6-8 hours, then steam it in a bamboo steamer for 40 minutes or so, but I'm impatient and I want sticky rice now! (I'm not in Thailand at the moment, so I can't just buy it on the soi, must make myself. :D )

I thought I would turn to the real Thai experts and ask, are there any faster ways to make sticky rice?

Thanks! :o

From http://www.kruaklaibaan.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4746

(Thai language but u can see pictures on that site)

1) sticky rice 2 cup

2) clean it and rinse for few times

3) put the cleaned stickyrice in the rice cooker

4)pour water, The level of water is higher than stickyrice seed about 0.5" (nomal rice = 1")

sticky rice needs less water than rice

For example , 2 cup of rice need 4 cup of water but 2 cup of sticky rice needs only 2-2.25 cup of water.

This method needs not to soak stickyrice for 6-8 hours.

Edited by BambinA

• 2 weeks later...

Boiled sticky rice - now I've seen it all!

With your rice cooker normally comes a steaming tray - you can steam your sticky rice on that for completely authentic steamed sticky rice.

Although word of warning if you've got a cheapy crappy rice steam the plastic on the top might bend due to the heat. But you need to prepare sticky rice in the normal manner.

Oh yeah a tip for speeding up the soaking of sticky rice is to put a metal fork or spoon into the bowl and you only need soak for an couple of hours. My wife always did when we lived in england :o

Edited by technocracy

Can you make or buy sticky rice - but brown, not white, rice?

What do you mean with 'brown'? Normally that means rice that is not completely milled (not polished), so with the membrane around the grain still intact. You can buy this. It's called Khao Niao Klong (likewise Khao Klong means 'brown rice'). Just ask at your local market for it.

If you mean the darker variety of sticky rice, the one that looks darker even on the field and is not quite brown, but more purplish, you should ask for Khao Niao Kam (pronounced like the English word 'gum') or Khao Kam. Only the dark STICKY rice is called Khao Kam, therefore you can leave the 'niao' out.