Thailand’s national lottery to stop paying out prizes in cash

webfact

image.jpeg

The Government Lottery Office has stopped paying out lottery prizes in cash, effective Saturday. Winners can instead claim their prize money through one of three channels, according to government deputy spokesperson Traisuree Traisoranakul.

The winners can have the money transferred to their bank accounts, except when the prize exceeds two million baht, for which the winner must have an account at either the Government Savings Bank or the Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC).

Alternatively, the winners can receive a check, made out to the winner, from the Krung Thai Bank’s GLO branch office.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-national-lottery-to-stop-paying-out-prizes-in-cash/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-04-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Is this just another move towards a cashless society that the ruling elite want?

Led by the US ? Interesting that under these new proposals your entire life can now be traced. Big Brother is watching you !

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/us-treasury-preps-launch-digital-dollar-5-ways-impact-investment

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

Is this just another move towards a cashless society that the ruling elite want?

That'll be a while yet, here.

Though, it's becoming quite apparent such a suppressive and controlling system is settling in for good throughout segments of the "civilised" West....

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I love my personal cash society!

My mattress is a wonderful thing.

I don't need debit/credit cards, banks interest, investments and the internet etc.

I love travelling kilometres to do all my cash transactions.

We all know big brother is watching!

Really? Get a grip!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Led by the US ? Interesting that under these new proposals your entire life can now be traced. Big Brother is watching you !

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/us-treasury-preps-launch-digital-dollar-5-ways-impact-investment

Exactly, and people still have not woken up to it, re my post above.

Edited by AhFarangJa

13 hours ago, webfact said:

The Government Lottery Office has stopped paying out lottery prizes in cash, effective Saturday. Winners can instead claim their prize money through one of three channels, according to government deputy spokesperson Traisuree Traisoranakul.

I very much look forward to encountering this problem.

15 hours ago, webfact said:

The Government Lottery Office has stopped paying out lottery prizes in cash,

The GLO may no longer pay winners in cash, but what about all the gold shops, especially out in the sticks, which, I am sure, will still pay winners in cash. My local gold shop always paid me in cash - for a small fee! So forget "cashless societies" outside Bangkok in country bumpkin land.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

The GLO may no longer pay winners in cash, but what about all the gold shops, especially out in the sticks, which, I am sure, will still pay winners in cash. My local gold shop always paid me in cash - for a small fee! So forget "cashless societies" outside Bangkok in country bumpkin land.

Do what, a gold shop paying out, not around here for certin, or many other areas, one shop was our local photocopy shop, family members sell the lottery tickets, collect winnings from the shop.

So, does that mean if I get the last 2 numbers right 2000 baht, pay out (minus 20-40 baht for transaction fee) Somchai ,who I brought my lottery ticket from cannot pay me I must go to the bank?

Jurey will be out on that one.

• Thanks 1