USB Hard Drive

lelapin

I am looking to buy a new 500GB  USB hard drive to do the monthly back up of my laptop files. Is it a good idea to buy from Lazada or Shoppee and is there any particular make recommended? The one I was using produces a message from the laptop when connecting it that there is a problem so as it is over 10 years old, I am not thinking of getting it repaired but rather replace it. I am not too concerned with the speed as I will probably only be using it about once a month.

15 hours ago, Mavideol said:

was in similar situation as you and this morning went out to Advice bought a 2 TB Seagate for 1950... saw some at Lazada for 800's to 1,400's but decided to see what was buying, my old Seagate is 12 years and last back up it took forever and stopped a couple time in between and some pop up  errors, thus better safe then sorry

+ 1 for Seagate drives. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I bought a 2TB thumbdrive for very little money on Lazada. I thought at the time it was surprisingly cheap.

Imagine my surprise when it didn't work properly - once it gets to 150 GB or so everything is corrupted!

that's the main reason I visited the Advice store.... been there done that, learned from past mistake, if it's cheap it must be a (or 100's) reason

I don't think the value ratio is good on 500GB external drives any more (if they even still make them?). Best to look at 1 or 2TB portable drives from Toshiba, Seagate or WD.

Looks like you can pick up a 1TB Toshiba Canvio from Advice for 1380THB which seems reasonable enough. Or 2TB for not much more...

6 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I bought a 2TB thumbdrive for very little money on Lazada. I thought at the time it was surprisingly cheap.

Imagine my surprise when it didn't work properly - once it gets to 150 GB or so everything is corrupted!

If you want to use it and the real capacity is 150 GB then create a partition of this size on it and these 150 GB can be (normally) used problem free. No need to throw it away.

Western Digital My Passport Ultra 1TB, 2TB, 4TB and possibly larger now. USB C so fast interface. Small form factor and reliable over the last 3 years. Bought mine from JIB IIRC. Reasonbly priced. Agree buying from proper store is the safest bet for a genuine product.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/4/2023 at 12:46 PM, Roger That said:

I don't think the value ratio is good on 500GB external drives any more (if they even still make them?). Best to look at 1 or 2TB portable drives from Toshiba, Seagate or WD.

Looks like you can pick up a 1TB Toshiba Canvio from Advice for 1380THB which seems reasonable enough. Or 2TB for not much more...

I use 2TB hard-disks from WD and Seagate, and never any problems.  

Price vs storage capacity for 2TB hard-disk drives is good (and I don't buy larger storage drives, in case the drive gets corrupted).

As others warned, when buying from Lazada opt for vendors that are on LazSell (which have the Lazada guarantee) and preferably buy from the Official WD or Seagate store. 

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Like 1