Cycling clubs in Bangkok

driver52

37 minutes ago, driver52 said:

sure, some of the paths look quite wide though and I wanna cycle to the beach ????

You mentioned 'road cycling', that sounds for me very much like cycling on (main) roads. 

And that is definitely a dangerous idea.

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You mentioned 'road cycling', that sounds for me very much like cycling on (main) roads. 

And that is definitely a dangerous idea.

ok, I'm hearing you and various other folks lol.....should I buy a scooter or a motorbike instead then? decades since I've been on a motorbike

1 minute ago, driver52 said:

ok, I'm hearing you and various other folks lol.....should I buy a scooter or a motorbike instead then? decades since I've been on a motorbike

Yes, buy something with an engine. That is definitely safer because you can match the speed of the cars and other bikes. And other drivers and riders will take you more serious. Bicycles are often ignored here, they are just bicycles.

In terms of which bike, maybe have a look at the motorcycle section of this forum:

Motorcycles in Thailand - Thailand News, Travel & Forum - ASEAN NOW

It depends a lot how you use your bike like inner city Bangkok, or for a trip, etc.

If you are new to Thailand then I suggest ride a lot with motorcycle taxis. That will give you a good idea what to expect. Most of them know what they are doing - at least in daylight when they are not yet drunk. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you are new to Thailand then I suggest ride a lot with motorcycle taxis. That will give you a good idea what to expect. Most of them know what they are doing - at least in daylight when they are not yet drunk.

what's the going rate? I have been tempted to get one from top to bottom of Silom Road but I find the exercise quite invigorating and/or challenging after drinking too much iced coffee ????.......I'm surprised some of the 'fatter passengers' don't fall off when they haven't even bothered to get their 'leg over'......

do you know much about 5 cylinder Volvos? seen a cheap one on faceache

1 hour ago, driver52 said:

what's the going rate? I have been tempted to get one from top to bottom of Silom Road but I find the exercise quite invigorating and/or challenging after drinking too much iced coffee ????.......I'm surprised some of the 'fatter passengers' don't fall off when they haven't even bothered to get their 'leg over'......

do you know much about 5 cylinder Volvos? seen a cheap one on faceache

In my experience most motorcycle riders in most areas have fair prices. Often they also have a board on which they show how much they charge.

Expensive exceptions are motorcycle gangs near entertainment areas like Nana. They often charge way too much - at least for foreigners.

Rough idea is the same amount which you would pay for a taxi-meter.

Just try and enjoy the ride. 

• Thumbs Up 1

When in Bangkok I ride on zwift (www.zwift.com) and on the real road only when I am in the South.
Every year there are a couple of cases of people who want to ride around the world....but die in Thailand.

I'm not in Bangkok - Chanthaburi - yesterday bought a new bike off one of the local ProBike dealers, that shop and two others here have their own social cycling groups with midweek evening and weekend rides to match rider capabilities, midweek usually 30-40km, weekends 60-100km. 

Apart from those rides, good place to meet other cyclists, learn the best places to ride. I clocked 38,000km on my last bike, had one accident 2013 which was my fault, early days I was stopped by Highway Police on Sukhumvit Rd and told it wasn't the place to be and given an alternative route, helpful advice  

The police here also have a family cycling group, but I haven't been invited to that one, saw them out yesterday parents and kids, good healthy activity.

Don't be put off by the negatives, the local cyclists/shops are your best resource.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

Chanthaburi

looks beautiful; I'm here for a number of months so hopefully if the weather gets a bit milder might make my way down there.......and even cross to Cambodia..

have fun!!