Can i drive my own car from thailand into Cambodia ?

patoss

Hello,

I am planning to drive with my own car to Cambodia from Thailand, throught Trat border / Khlong Yai Border Checkpoint.

Has anyone experienced this and is it even allowed to bring your car in?

Thank you

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, it is allowed. You need to be the vehicle owner, have insurance etc. There is usually a helper at immigration. They are good value unlike the street worms up at Poipet.

If you are moving beyond Koh Kong town highway 48  is under construction the entire wayand the road north towards Battambong  is very rough.

Worth getting the Cambodian evisa beforehand.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have you guys found more info ? 
From what I understand having a Thai driving license is sufficient but I have no idea about car insurance. 
It would be great to hear from someone having done this recently and know exactly what to expect.   

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 11:25 AM, my friend I said:

Yes, it is allowed. You need to be the vehicle owner, have insurance etc. There is usually a helper at immigration. They are good value unlike the street worms up at Poipet.

If you are moving beyond Koh Kong town highway 48  is under construction the entire wayand the road north towards Battambong  is very rough.

Worth getting the Cambodian evisa beforehand.

DO NOT Need insurance and as a fact ur thai insurance is not valid in Cambodia an very difficult to get insurance in Cambodia ( its not even required for a Cambodian car or bike  ???? )
i've driven dozen of times between 2005 and 2018 with my Thai car, had it over there for 10 months  in 2008/09 when i lived/worked in PP

Voa $30,  visa online $36 but does save a page in ur passport 

DONT drive at night
take off ur front plate so they cant tell ur driving a thai car ( u will be stopped less)
Tint on front windows is illegal 
my Thai license was accepted 50% kf the times i was stopped ( about 6 times total) even thou any ASEAN license is valid fines are usually between $5-20 
driving in Cambodia is very stressful so dont do long ( over 6 hour) trips

enjoy!!!

Edited by zzzzz
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/14/2023 at 10:16 AM, zzzzz said:

DO NOT Need insurance and as a fact ur thai insurance is not valid in Cambodia an very difficult to get insurance in Cambodia ( its not even required for a Cambodian car or bike  ???? )
i've driven dozen of times between 2005 and 2018 with my Thai car, had it over there for 10 months  in 2008/09 when i lived/worked in PP

Voa $30,  visa online $36 but does save a page in ur passport 

DONT drive at night
take off ur front plate so they cant tell ur driving a thai car ( u will be stopped less)
Tint on front windows is illegal 
my Thai license was accepted 50% kf the times i was stopped ( about 6 times total) even thou any ASEAN license is valid fines are usually between $5-20 
driving in Cambodia is very stressful so dont do long ( over 6 hour) trips

enjoy!!!

My car in Thailand has tinted windows all around. Would you recommend I remove them here in Thailand before I drive from Thailand to Cambodia for only a long weekend trip? (seems a bit excessive.., and expensive..)