Day trip to France from UK for Thai citizen.

I think I probably know the answer to this but posting the question in case there is a simple solution. My wife has a 10 year UK Standard visa based on family visit. In the past if we wanted to go to France for a day trip I quickly obtained a schengan visa for my wife from embassy based on freedom of movement for family members of EU citizens, this was free of charge. Now since Brexit and the UK is no longer an EU member this avenue does not exist.

My question is therefore is there any way around this other than applying for a full schengan visa, having to buy insurance and having to show accomodation. It seems way over the top.

Edited by jimn

1 minute ago, digbeth said:

check carefully if her UK visa counts as 'Residence' Visa for the UK, 

otherwise she will need to apply for the Schengen Visa all the way in Thailand

You don't need to apply in Thailand although that is what is encouraged. The Schengen handbook allows some flexibility and I know some that have been successful booking a limited discounted offer.

21 hours ago, Upnotover said:

On the positive side at least you won't end up with a fridge full of things you would never really want to eat and heaps of that awful cheap lager people used to ram into their cars.

Agree some of the lager is aweful. However when I go I still stock up with the original Kronenbourg that you can still get over there. Much better than the 1664 version.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/15/2023 at 2:36 PM, sandyf said:

You don't need to apply in Thailand although that is what is encouraged. The Schengen handbook allows some flexibility and I know some that have been successful booking a limited discounted offer.

Do you have a link for that?

My missus was told that she could not apply whilst she was in the UK on a standard visit visa.

13 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Do you have a link for that?

My missus was told that she could not apply whilst she was in the UK on a standard visit visa.

A few years back I had issues with the German Embassy in Bangkok and took the matter to SOLVIT. I still have a copy of the handbook on my computer but you should Google for a later version in case of updates.

This is from  Section 2.8 of the handbook, there are also some examples of how the rule should be applied.

"However, an application may be accepted from a person legally present – but not residing - in the jurisdiction of the consulate where the application is submitted, if he can justify why the application could not be lodged at a consulate in his place of residence. It is for the consulate to appreciate whether the justification presented by the applicant is acceptable"

I know personally 3 people in the UK that have done this while their wife/girlfriends were in the UK. They did it on the basis they wanted to take advantage of last minute discounted offers which weren't available prior to leaving Thailand.

One was rejected by the French embassy and the other 2 were successful, one to Amsterdam and one to Spain.

I should say they were before the UK left the EU and attitudes may have hardened. The Handbook is quite clear, it can be done, but up to the embassy to accept the reason.

Being on a standard visitor visa is not an issue.

""Legally present" means that the applicant is entitled to stay temporarily in the jurisdiction on the basis of the legislation of the third country where he is present either for a short stay or when he is allowed to stay for a longer period of time while maintaining his permanent residence in another third country."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1